I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Accents
Posted by: Rick Beatty (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 29, 2021 08:30AM

After many years of scrambling to find someone to replace guides when I would break one I decided to just do it myself. I got a wrapping station and dryer as well as the materials I will need.

My first attempt will be to replace a guide on a Dobyns Extreme. The thread color is black with a gold accent. From the top the accent looks like two strands of thread, but when you turn the rod over you can see it was started and had two turns slightly apart and then cut off.

That doesn't seem too hard to do, but I am not sure how to keep the accent thread in place while finishing the job with epoxy. I thought of putting a drop of CA there to keep it in place but that doesn't leave any room for error. What's the best way to do it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Accents
Posted by: Wade Christensen (165.225.10.---)
Date: April 29, 2021 08:41AM

This is how I do it;

While wrapping the black thread, when you get to where you want the trim band, insert your gold thread under the black thread you are currently winding. I leave about two inches of thread sticking out and wind the black thread over the gold twice. Then take the gold thread and lay it right beside the black thread that is coming up to the rod. Hold this in place while turning the rod three times. Once you have turned it three times, (ending in the same position as you started), then place your thumb over the whole area. Allow the free end of the gold thread to become loose and slowly unwind one revolution of the gold thread. Make sure that the gold thread remains under the black thread when you have finished unwinding one round of thread.

This should leave you with two gold bands that are separated by one black thread. The gold should start and stop in the same place. Make a few more wraps of black to secure the gold thread, and then cut the gold thread off. After you have finished wrapping your black thread and burnishing it, you can then cut off the starting tail of the gold thread and burnish it into the black.

I always pull away from the razor blade at first before cutting. This pulls the gold thread up slightly higher so you can cut very close to the black thread. Lay your razor blade right next to the gold thread and pull the gold thread towards and over the razor blade. This will cut it and if all goes well, there will be no gold showing where you cut it. However, if there is, you can take a small pick and gently work it under the black threads.

Re: Accents
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 30, 2021 12:02AM

Rick,
Trim bands, or “accents” as you call them are basically produced by simply “adding and / or dropping” threads. Search for such here or facebook videos which might prove easier to understand than lengthy text explanation attempts. If not, come back or email me directly.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster