I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Locking wrap for micro guides?
Posted by: Ernie Blum (---)
Date: April 29, 2021 08:25AM

I viewed a video a short while ago by Flex Coat demonstrating a locking technique for wrapping micro guides in order to help minimize the possibility of having the guide yanked free should one get the line wrapped around the guide for whatever reason, for example while fighting a fish. Is this...or should this be standard technique for these small guides, especially for saltwater application? It doesn't look like a bad idea to me, although it does result in a slightly different cosmetic appearance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Locking wrap for micro guides?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 29, 2021 09:23AM

I'd do it, particularly for saltwater applications.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 29, 2021 11:10AM

I do it for all single foot guides, takes only a few seconds, and I really don't think that it changes the appearance significantly. Never had one pull out since I started this. Pullouts were very rare before, but I had at least one.

Posted by: Lee Swaim (12.35.44.---)
Date: April 29, 2021 12:36PM

I do this for all of the single foot guides that are slightly bent upwards (fuji model L). I don't do the locking wrap on the KB or KT style guides because I can't get the wrap tightly wrapped underneath the guide eye.

Posted by: George Mason (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: April 29, 2021 12:54PM

I am with the previous three poster's answers. I do it on all micro's and all KL-H.

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: April 29, 2021 01:36PM

I don't do it for two reasons , the first is I never had any issues with micros ever coming loose and the second is if a running guide that small is subjected to the force that causes it to break free I would prefer for it to break free instead of being twisted and stuck in place out toward the tip of the rod blank.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 29, 2021 02:26PM

Ernie,
Although I have never had a guide pull-out in the 60 years I have been fishing, I always employ a locking wrap on single foot guides for the added insurance. Also, it is obvious evidence the rod is custom and that the builder took the extra time to do it. I developed my own method but most simply use the Fohan type which only requires an additional 30 seconds max.
Lee,
Thread the locking wrap tag end through / between the KB or KT legs in an “X” pattern.It is actually part of my method and I use it for the KL-Hs as well.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: April 29, 2021 05:34PM

The odds of a micro as small as KT's getting twisted is pretty small since they are so compact. I had a rod twisted around the trolling motor shaft last year, with all kinds of force applied to a couple KT5.5's and all it did was bend them a little. I bent them back and all is well. The big story is that the Point Blank blank was undamaged. Looking down on the mess made me sure the rod was toast. But it survived, the guides didn't pull out, and all it took to fix the situation was to bend the guides a little.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.212.40.162.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 29, 2021 08:26PM

Standard practice for all KB or KT guides. I don't build a rod without using the locking wrap on micro guides.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 29, 2021 08:45PM

Locking wraps are not necessary with micro guides or any guide for that matter. Having said that, I have been using a locking wrap for about 6 years. Made a lot of micro guide rods prior to that without issue and if the guide got damaged it never fell out but still had to be replaced.

Date: April 30, 2021 08:30AM

All micros are not equal. Just like all titanium guides are not the same. So not all guides will react the same to abuse.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 30, 2021 11:52AM

For small single foot guides, there is little reason NOT to use a locking wrap.

It takes an extra three seconds to do the wrap and it gives considerable long term stability survivability of the guide train.

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: May 01, 2021 11:03PM

Lance Schreckenbach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Locking wraps are not necessary with micro guides
> or any guide for that matter.

> Made a lot of micro guide rods prior to that
> without issue and if the guide got damaged it
> never fell out but still had to be replaced.

I agree, and I don't use them. No need to. Don't have a problem with guides falling out or being pulled out. And like the old saying goes, if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Another issue is there is no such thing as a locking wrap. It is not the thread wrap preventing the guide from being pulled out so the extra thread wraps are not locking anything in. A guide could be pulled out right over top the so called locking wrap. It is the epoxy on the extra thread wraps doing the work, and one does not need extra thread wraps to accomplish the same results with well placed epoxy. And I think this is why I'm not having any problems so far.

I have been using micro guides with the shortest foot for years and have not had any problems (knock on wood)

And being a minimalist, I don't want the extra thread wraps on my rods. Just not necessary on my bass fishing rods. But to each their own.

I look at it another way... when I drive down the road in my car I could at any time run off the road and into a lake and sink to the bottom. But to prevent that I could install flotation devices on my car just in case. Same thing with so called 'locking' wraps. It is an added confidence measure of prevention for a situation that may not really need compensation or prevention for it.

I believe if the guides are installed well to begin with, then why bother with adding something that really does not need or have to be there? My perspective, but as said to each their own... this is what makes custom rods custom rods.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2021 08:34AM by Kent Griffith.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster