I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to figure out guide sizing? Newbie
Posted by: Guy Daines (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: April 27, 2021 03:57PM

Another post from a newbie here who has no idea what he’s doing and is still brand new to rod building. I’ve been reading more and more about how to get good guide placement measurements and starting to understand that aspect a little more although there is still some stuff I’m confused about, but my question for now is about the actual size of the guides. I’ve tried looking online for info on websites and haven’t really found any information myself, although I’m sure it’s hiding in plain sight. How the @#$%& do I know what size guides are right for the specific blank and application? I have no clue how to determine what size stripper guide and reduction guides and choker to use for different rods. I think I’m fine for the most part on running guides since I’m noticing most of the time for a lot of spinning setups it’s either gonna be 6’s or 8’s, and I haven’t even tried to understand the sizing for conventional rods for offshore bottom fishing yet either. Where do I start with all this? How do I figure this stuff out? Thanks ahead of time to all/anyone who responds with any info. Appreciate it guys seriously.

Re: How to figure out guide sizing? Newbie
Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: April 27, 2021 04:56PM

With spinning in particular knowing what type of fishing , reel and line type the angler plans on using is # 1 . Some will throw out sizes and guide types they have used over the years but spinning setup's can be made so much more efficient if you match the sizes of guides & ring diameters ,heights of guides etc.. to what reel and line you plan on using .

I'll give you an example , over the years popular guide trains for spinning setup's for the surf would be like 40,30,20,16,12, 8,8,8,8 or 30,20,16,12,10,10,10,10 IF you're using mono instead of braid those are not bad guide trains especially if using a spinner with a large spool diameter like a PENN 706Z but with braid EVEN heavier braid those are terrible choices for guide trains.

The reason is braid is much much more supple and limp and in my honest opinion anything over a size 25 butt guide of the proper height with braid is going to result in a massive loss in efficiency . I don't even think a size 25 guide is needed especially with braid 30 pounds or less . To come up with the most efficient guide train possible you want to choose guides where each guide has a real impact on either line direction or line containment and unfortunately most guide trains fail to achieve that goal because the ONLY thing they do is take up space due to being the proper height or the guide happens to be the size that's next in line like after a 20 the 16 would be a choice for many builders but it's really a completely useless guide that has so little impact on line direction or containment .

Now if that 16 guide ring was a size 10 ring at the same height of the 16 it would be ideal because a 10 size ring has much more of an impact on line direction and containment than a 16 size ring has especially with braided line . Choosing a layout like a 20 ,10, 5's on out is a very very efficient guide train because each guide has a major impact and is extremely useful a 20,16,12, 8 etc.. is a major efficiency destroyer.

The goal is to choose guides that are of the proper height but also have the most efficient ring sizes that match up best with the preferred reel and line of choice . There is no shortcut to knowing this it just comes from doing it and lots and lots of test casting.

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: April 27, 2021 05:08PM

Check out the below links they should prove very helpful.

[anglersresource.net]

[anglersresource.net]

NGC is another way for laying out spinning setups however the above two are the latest preferred way when using lighter braids .

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 27, 2021 05:23PM

What size reel and line are you using? What kind of fishing are you doing?
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 27, 2021 08:51PM

Guy, have you read all the articles in the library above about guide sizing and placerment? The basics is where all experimentation starts from, it's not as confusing as you think.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 28, 2021 09:06AM

Ideal spinning rod guide size depends upon several conditions: Monofilament or braid? Line diameter? Anticipated ambient temperature? One guide train is not best for all conditions.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 28, 2021 03:15PM

Guy,
The links to Anglers Resource provided by Cris are invaluable to know, understand and apply to all spinning rods. Granted, only Fuji guides are listed, but for someone just starting out in rod building and to make it much simpler and less confusing, stick with Fuji! Even after gaining experience, many such as myself stick with Fuji.
Rods used with conventional / bait-casting reels do not have to deal with the chaotic coils of line coming off a spinning reel. The guides can therefore be lower to the blank with smaller ring sizes; the biggest concern is keeping the line off the fore-grip and one's fingers. I basically only use bait-casters for saltwater. A size 12 KW or smaller is a great choice for the stripper possibly followed by an 8 or just go right down to 6s all the way out to the tip (single foot KBs can be used as well) for rods up to 40lb. For 40 - 80lb rods, use HBs. Over 80lb, use rollers.
Discover, digest and apply the TWO-LINE-static-load-testing for guide placement. There are no measurements. It is simple, quick and effective to perform and achieve the ultimate guide placement on ANY blank. Use the search function here.
Good luck, keep us posted on your progress.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: May 06, 2021 06:52PM

Selecting the best guide size(s) depends upon one of two things: looks or performance. In the complete absence of actual test data (numbers) comparing casting performance from different guides/guide placements you should go for the best looking guides.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster