I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What;s yorfavorite blank for building a skagit rod?
Posted by: Robert Flowers (---)
Date: April 26, 2021 06:50PM

As the title suggests, what is your favorite blank for a skagir rod"

Tight lines and frisky fish.
RJF

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What;s yorfavorite blank for building a skagit rod?
Posted by: Jeffrey D Rennert (---)
Date: April 26, 2021 08:41PM

For the beginner like me, please explain what a skagir is, thank you

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: April 26, 2021 09:43PM

Robert,
CTS makes dedicated Skagit blanks from 12'6" to 15'0"
#5/6
#6/7
#7/8
#8/9
#10/11

Jeffrey,
A Skagit blank is built such that it starts to flex down-low sooner than a progressive blank. So, it has a regressive action vs a progressive action. It is designed to cast very heavy lines and large flys.
Both Skagit and Spey type casting use water born anchor-point loading. But Skagit water loading differs from Spey loading. Spey lines have finer tips for gentle landing casts for smaller flys. Skagit lines are more aggressive to deliver large flys.
Herb
CTS Rep

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2021 09:59PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: April 26, 2021 10:11PM

Youtube has videos on skagit and spey fishing.

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Date: April 26, 2021 10:34PM

Kent,
The first video is factual and accurate.
the second, however, is not. The "Spey" caster is not Spey casting. He is casting "Overhand". Or if you prefer: "Overhead". There is no water loading going on. As far as the rod being sensitive to detect a bite. That is nonsense.
There is a direct connection between a fish and the fisherman via the line. The rod is not even in the equation.
Herb

Date: April 26, 2021 10:43PM

I'm not surprised to hear that about the second video.

That video was taken by the guy who built that rod seen in the video. He is a local custom rod builder here in central Florida and a very skilled builder no doubt.

But the star of the video is some guy from New York, and he moved down here and is having local custom rod builders make rods for him based on his requirements, and whatever it is he does for a fishing technique as seen in the video is purely his own! Could it be a modified spey technique? I have no idea really and no plans on ever fishing like that.

I told my buddy who made the rod don't expect this type of fishing to catch on and go viral around here! Not going to happen.

The star of the video said he does not even let passing cars stop him from casting. One day he just might hook up if not careful!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2021 10:51PM by Kent Griffith.

Date: April 26, 2021 10:51PM

Could it be a modified spey technique?

Kent.
Not even close. It is "Overhead" casting - plain and simple. In order for there to be Spey or Skagit casting - there has to be water loading per the first video. "Mr. Spey" is blowing smoke.
Herb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2021 10:53PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Date: April 26, 2021 11:04PM

Robert,
I should add - that the latest "fad" is using typical fly rods of typical lengths to be used as "single-hand" Spey and Skagit.
Line companies like Sci Anglers, OPST and Wulff make lines specifically for this use.
So, I should have asked if your customer is interested in classic Skagit - or singlehanded Skagit.
Herb

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---)
Date: April 26, 2021 11:36PM

Herb Ladenheim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Robert,
> I should add - that the latest "fad" is using
> typical fly rods of typical lengths to be used as
> "single-hand" Spey and Skagit.
> Line companies like Sci Anglers, OPST and Wulff
> make lines specifically for this use.
> So, I should have asked if your customer is
> interested in classic Skagit - or singlehanded
> Skagit.
> Herb

Thanks Herb. I did some research before posting, and am aware of the CTS options, as well as icro skagit rods and ines. I just don't know who all is in the game besides CTS. I trust CTS, and when I
have a need, I will then research the proper hardware, and lines some more.

As my CTS 3 weight CrystalGlass bends well into the bottom third of the blank, I would think that it would perform well as a micro skagit rod, as should my Winston 7 weight BIIIX. I just should need to spool the reel properly.

Skagit casting looks a lot like roll costing, but using the drag of the water to load the blank so that the blank can then transfer its stored energy to the lin to produce longer casts. This looks like a great technique to use when brush gets tight s it eliminates the back cast portion of an overhead cast.

Tight lines and frisky fish
RJF

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 27, 2021 12:32AM

The best I've used is the Meiser MKS, he'll also tell you what you need to know to maximize your enjoyment of rod.

Date: April 27, 2021 08:52AM

Bob (Meiser) does some exceptionally beautiful grip work. He used to use CTS blanks exclusively. Actually, Bob had specified certain tapers to his liking for CTS to produce. I believe that Bob's blanks are now made in Asia. But if the buyer wants a CTS blank, he will comply.
His proprietary blanks do tend to be softer than some like.
Herb

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 27, 2021 12:01PM

The second video is NOT any type of Spey! It is a two handed overheard cast, often used by surf fishermen.

Date: April 28, 2021 10:17AM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The second video is NOT any type of Spey! It is a
> two handed overheard cast, often used by surf
> fishermen.

You nailed it! This man is a surf fisherman. I do believe this is how my buddy met him was while both were surf fishing, and he found out my buddy made custom rods and this video and rod he is using in the video are the results.

Description under video:

"John Grasta and his group of friends are innovating and pushing two handed spey rod fishing in Florida. He has caught every Florida species on one, and many more. Catch him at Sebastian inlet every Sunday slingin big flies."

I am wondering why he works so hard- back and forth and back and forth- just to achieve 100 foot casts? I can nearly double that with a 7'6" spinning rod and a single motion quick cast. Maybe all that casting motion is just his way of working out and fishing at the same time? Maybe I should try it! Nah. I'd have to transport a rod like that one around tied to the roof rack of my SUV.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 28, 2021 12:19PM

There is nothing new about his two handed style of casting. Surf fishermen here on the west coast having been doing it for many years.

What may be different, is if he is using "Spey rods" instead of the usual surf rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster