I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rearrange guides
Posted by: Mychael Turner (---)
Date: April 26, 2021 05:11PM

Hi all ..
Ok , I built a casting rod , my first. I new in the beginning the blank might be a little soft for the application I wanted ( drop shot ) but built it any way . After finishing and fishing it I realize my guide placement is a bit off and maybe in conjunction with the soft blank sometimes I dont get the hook set I want ... My question is if I R&R and possibly add a guide, moving the guide train down the blank and closer to the reel ( now at 23" from reel ) will this change the power or action any ?? I now understand a little better, guide placement and the static line testing so I wont make the original mistake again ... thank you... Mychael

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rearrange guides
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 26, 2021 05:56PM

Nope, sorry to report that any re-arranging of guides will have minimal if an effect on solving your problem. Just fish it as a rod for what it works for (probably cranks, probably light cranks) and build another with the right power and action for what you want it to do.

Your issue is not so much guide placement as it is blank selection.

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---)
Date: April 26, 2021 05:57PM

Mychael - If you've been using mono/fluorocarbon line on the rod, switching to braid with a fluoro leader will increase the rod's hook setting power, but changing the guide placement won't increase the power or change the action.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 26, 2021 06:15PM

True, but I don't think that is the real issue here.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 26, 2021 08:52PM

Mychael,
Sharpen all of the hooks that you use on terminal tackle to get a better hook set.

Use only braided line - all of the way to the hook for minimal stretch to get a better hook set.

For a rock hard hook set, build another rod with a stiff tip - NOT a drop shot rod blank. Drop shot rod blanks, by their very design have a very soft top 2-3 feet. Hence, tough to get a normal hook set with that sort of rod. As a result, when using a rod as you have built - learn to use a different, but equally effective hook set. All that you have to do, is to reel down on the fish - taking all of the bend out of the tip of the rod and then bust the fish. Hook up every time.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: April 27, 2021 12:01PM

Cut six or eight inches off the end of the rod before you re-arrange the guides and use circle hooks.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 27, 2021 01:24PM

Phil,
That would work.

However, if you do that - you would ruin a perfectly wonderful drop shot rod.

A drop shot rod is designed with an ultra soft hook and baits and hooks are to be used in such a fashion as the fish hook themselves.

No hook set necessary.

Take care

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 28, 2021 08:54AM

Roger:

No hook set is necessary with a circle hook.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster