I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Ultralight guide reduction train for braid
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 27, 2021 09:45PM

Spencer, that 12’ 3 piece rod sounds like one of the old Cabela’s FG European match rods they once sold. Modified a number of them back in the day. They looked different from what we are use to but but casted well. Can’t remember if they had double foot match guides or single foot. Cabelas at one time sold a number of European type of rods.
Guy, 19” from the reel spool is always a good starting point for an ultralight rod with a small reel. A little in or a little out and you are usually right there.
Norm

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 27, 2021 10:52PM

Since my issue runs along with most of the responses on this topic, I'm going to ask for advice on my problem if you'll allow me.

I was asked to build a light action 6'6" spinning rod for a guy. I already have the blank and handle materials, but need to purchase the guides. I intend to follow the KR Concept which I've only used a couple of times, as I mostly build casting rods. The procedure seems pretty straight forward. Tom Kirkman mentioned that the rod earlier in the topic only required 3 guide sizes; butt guide, an intermediate, and runners the rest of the way out. My problem is the runners. This guy will use this rod rigged with a slip bobber and bobber stops for panfish.The bobber stops are made of thread and may increase to ~2mm as they swell with water. He is concerned that a true micro setup with size 6 or smaller runners will impede the passage of the bobber stop through the runners, creating casting problems which may be true, so I told him I could use 8's for the runners which should give him plenty of clearance. If I were to use a size 20H for a butt guide and size 8's for the runners, what would be the best size for the intermediate guide? If I add any KB's they would likely be 8's as well, unless there are other recommendations.

Thanks!

Dave Sytsma

Date: April 27, 2021 10:58PM

Please excuse me. I forgot to mention that he intends to use 6# or 8# mono on this rod, not braid.

Dave Sytsma

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 27, 2021 11:23PM

A bobber stop changes the game quite a bit. A lot of people down here use slip floats for crappie. I have found that a bobber stop for a slip float will usually pass through size 6 or 5.5 runners pretty well. If you want to do a KR concept then try a one of the following.
3 guide reduction train : KL20H, KL10H, KL6L , or KL20H, KL10H, KL7M. Either of these can be followed by size 5.5 or 6 KB/KT runners. With the second reduction train could even use KT 7 runners. I have had people bring back a KR rod using size 5 or smaller runners to have me put larger runners on, a size 6 usually does it.
If you think 5.5 runners are large enough you could use KL20H, KL10H, KL5.5M for the reduction train.

If you want to use size 8 runners then go to a NGC, for example, 25Y, 16Y, and 10Y to size eight runners. This will certainly make the build heavier, but the bobber stop will pass no problems.
Norm

Posted by: Rick Hall (---.msl-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: April 28, 2021 12:44PM

Hi Norman,

Adaman is not a standard decorative or industrial PVD, rather a new vapor deposition we developed. Adaman coating on the HLDG1 is about 1100 on the Vickers hardness scale. The non coated Adaman, a stainless ring with chrome plating of about 300 value on the Vickers scale. SIC is about 2200, Silicon Nitride RS ring, (my favorite ceramic for several reasons, flexibility, extremely low specific gravity as well as thermal conductivity) 2000, Zirconium 1700, Aluminum oxide 1200-1500. SeaGuide is the only guide manufacturer to make all of our own ceramics including Silicon Nitride in which there are only a handful of facilities that can produce.

No other company has this coating, other PVD coating whether being decorative or industrial range at about the 600-800 value.

Give them a try!

Rick Hall
Global Sales Manager
SeaGuide Corporation
406-750-2122
www.sea-guide.com

Date: April 28, 2021 01:56PM

Norm,

Thanks for the response and understanding my concerns with the bobber stop issue. You've clarified several things for me. I think I'll run with the KT 7's as a happy medium; they should work.

Thanks again,

Dave Sytsma

Posted by: Eric Garza (---.burlingtontelecom.net)
Date: April 28, 2021 02:18PM

Rick, thanks for sharing this. I ordered a couple sets of the HLGs with Adaman coating, and look forward to trying them out. Have you received any feedback from fishers regarding how the Adaman coating holds up to braid?

Posted by: Eric Garza (---.burlingtontelecom.net)
Date: April 28, 2021 02:21PM

Yes Norm, I will use the MKG for the runner. My current plan, based on looking at the heights of the various guides, is to stick with the 16 stripper, then 6 and 4L in the HLG, then size 4 MKG. I put the order in a couple days ago, so hopefully the guides will arrive sometime next week.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster