I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

blank for spinning rod
Posted by: Rex Mason (47.189.191.---)
Date: April 25, 2021 05:47PM

I hit the wrong computer key whenever I ordered a blank for an 8" flipping casting rod for a customer. I now have a 2nd blank.
I am considering using this blank for a sp[inning rod for myself. My hands won't let me use a casting rod anymore. The blank is 8-ft long-heavy power-fast tip. will this blank make a decent spinning rod for worms, etc. It will be used sometimes for throwing 5/8- and 3/4-oz top water frogs and for crank baits.

opinions requested

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blank for spinning rod
Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: April 25, 2021 05:59PM

"The blank is 8-ft long-heavy power-fast tip. will this blank make a decent spinning rod for worms, etc. It will be used sometimes for throwing 5/8- and 3/4-oz"

Not a good match obviously , why can't you cancel the second blank order.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 25, 2021 06:13PM

Probably will work just fine. The blank doesn’t care if it is used as spinning rod or a casting rod. If you want a heavy powered spin rod use it.
Norm

Date: April 25, 2021 06:45PM

Oh was the question about whether a casting rod blank will work for spinning ? Of course as Norm said I was referring to the heavy power for throwing super light stuff and to me 5/8 - 3/4 is super light but I exclusively fish saltwater where 2 ounce stuff is considered average weight . I gave up fishing lite freshwater after I got into saltwater fishing and can't say if weight ratings on freshwater stuff is similar to saltwater stuff. I would opt for a medium power for what you want to throw .

I myself don't like settling for something when I can be successful at changing an order and getting exactly what I want , most rod retailers have a 30 day money back guarantee that's why I said see if you can return it since you obviously haven't built on it.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 25, 2021 06:57PM

I agree with Norm, build it, your spinning gear will be very forgiving.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 25, 2021 07:31PM

Build it.

Posted by: Jeffrey D Rennert (---)
Date: April 25, 2021 07:50PM

I would never try to talk you out of something, but I've been wanting a 8" heavy flipping. I'll buy it from ya. if the shipping isn't out of line. Elkton, Fl. 32033. Speaking of shipping where can I secure some 3x3x3x 96" boxes? Thanking all in advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2021 07:53PM by Jeffrey D Rennert.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 26, 2021 12:06AM

Jeffery,
If you want 3x3x3 x96 inch boxes - just think out of the box - so to speak.

Just pick up a 10 foot long DW pvc 4 inch diameter pipe.

These pvc pipes work very well at storing and shipping rods.

For example the area of a 3x3 inch box is 9 square inches.

The area of a 4 inch diameter box is equal to "pie" R squared. --- So this would be 3.1416x2x2 = 12.6 sq inches.

So, as you can see from the equation, you can store and or ship more "stuff" in a 4 inch tube than you can ship in a 3x3 box.

Just go to Home Depot, Lowes or other home building stores to pick up DW pvc pipe. DW pipe is thin wall pipe that is plenty strong for storing and or shipping items.

p.s.
However, if one has a 3x3 box with a full removable top for the box - the box is certainly more accessible for both inserting and removing items compared to a tube.

Good luck

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 26, 2021 02:56PM

One thing you may want to try before you build is to simulate cutting it down to a shorter length by mounting (taping) the reel seat farther up the blank, guides too. If you like it you could cut it off the butt. By simulating you can tell how it will work without doing any damage. Sort of.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 26, 2021 07:20PM

If I understand the situation correctly, PVC prices are thru the roof, sometimes changing daily.

Date: April 26, 2021 08:36PM

I saved the PVC tubes from purchasing blanks. They don't work once the spinning guides are attached

Date: April 26, 2021 09:36PM

I picked up a long section of that thin DW PVC pipe that Roger mentioned at Lowes a few weeks ago to ship a rod to somebody in Virginia and it cost me under $15.00 . The price was over $17.00 30 days ago.

[www.lowes.com]

Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: April 27, 2021 08:41AM

Personally, I wouldn't rely on the thin PVC to protect a rod or a blank from the abuse it might run into in our mail system. I have had two separate blanks broken and left on my door step. Both happened in the thin PVC tube. It really looked like someone had used the tube as a bat and hit it against a post. The tubes were bent almost sideways and even split open in the crease. I have had no problems with the thick cardboard tubes or the thick PVC tubes. I know it costs a bit more $ but I would be devastated if I had built a rod and sent it to a customer only to find out it was destroyed. Just my opinion through experience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2021 10:31AM by Todd Andrizzi.

Posted by: Rex Mason (47.189.191.---)
Date: April 27, 2021 08:55AM

I want to get in contact with Jeffrey Rennert. How do I go about contacting anyone on this site whenever I want to communicate one-on-one?

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: April 27, 2021 09:22AM

Rex, both of you have hidden email addresses here. If you unhide your email address then he can contact you. I'll ask him the same and let him know you want to contact him.

Date: April 27, 2021 10:54AM

My inability to unlock my e-mail address should tell y'all about my ineptness. jeffreyrennert@aol.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 27, 2021 01:34PM

Todd,
Simply put, if a rod container gets caught in a package system conveyor - almost no container will stand up to the forces that are exerted on a package.

I have shipped hundreds of rods and have never had an issue with a rod being broken in a thin wall pvc pipe.

However, I have had the misadventure of receiving a new rod blank from a supplier which was shipped in schedule 40 thick wall pvc pipe that had been snapped in half from being caught in a conveyor.

I have also used reasonably heavy cardboard to form a triangle and ship the completed rods in that with no failure.

For example:

[www.uline.com]

I have also shipped rods in Vinyl down spout pipes. No failures in those either.

For example:

[www.menards.com]

Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: April 29, 2021 08:30AM

Thanks Roger. I did talk to a USPS deliverer and he did tell me about the conveyor issue. I have only shipped blanks back to the company. I have never shipped to a customer because I don't sell rods. If you have shipped more than 100 rods...that's 50 more than I have received. Thanks for the info.

Posted by: Cindy Middleton (---)
Date: April 29, 2021 10:57PM

uline.com

That is where my father got all his boxes and tubes. Of course they come in huge quantities. You can also get several boxes from Walmart and reconstruct something to work to your advantages.

I have done that with my dream catchers and spirit shields I make.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2021 11:00PM by Cindy Middleton.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster