I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji KB Verses KT Ring sizes
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 25, 2021 04:01PM

Why are Fuji KTs available up to size 10 while KBs are only available to size 6? With the larger foot of the KB, I would think it should be the other way around.
While 95% of my saltwater rods employ conventional reels, I would like to build a 20lb live-bait spinning rod utilizing a 4000 size reel with 50lb braid. As many of you might suspect, I am using a vintage Conolon blank that has a 9/64in tip which limits the smallest tip top to a size 8 ring. My preferred guide selection would be; KL-25H, 12H, 8M followed by KB 8s out to a size 8 MN or MG tip top. Although the KT 8s would get the job done, if not a bit sketchy at the mid-rod stress area, I would prefer the stoutness of the KBs. While I could (and probably will) use KL-25H, 12H, 6L or M followed by KB-6 runners, the tip top would still have to be a size 8, one size larger than the runners. I have had to use tip tops larger than the runners before, but it simply looks odd even if minimal, if any, performance would be lost or noticed.
I have never used the L runners and with only a single leg / brace, it looks even lighter-duty than the KTs and am also uncertain if they are available in CC corrosion control finish.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji KB Verses KT Ring sizes
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 25, 2021 06:05PM

The foot on the size 7 and 8 and10 KTs are plenty long, wide, and strong enough for most fishing applications. As the ring size of KTs gets larger the foot also gets proportional larger. You get to a point of diminishing return.
Norm

Date: April 25, 2021 07:47PM

Norman,
Thank you for your knowledgeable and informative reply;. I can always rely upon you. I have only used size 5 KTs for (barely) micro builds and it seems reasonable the foot size will increase with the ring size. While it is safe to say most guides are much stronger than required, I would feel more comfortable using the stouter foot of the KBs, especially in the mid-rod stress area for this 20lb, live-bait rod; granted it is not a tuna stick but it is certainly more than an UL trout rod. It appears to me the single-foot L guides (which I have not used) are less stout than the KBs = is that correct?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 25, 2021 07:54PM

The KB/KT guides are stouter than the L guides. It’s the double brace on the KB/KT guides that gives them a little extra strength, but probably makes them slightly heavier.
Norm

Date: April 25, 2021 08:58PM

Norman,
Thank you again. While weight is always of concern, especially the further out toward the tip, strength / durability of the guide train is a higher priority with this application. I try to adhere to “Form Follows Function” so, at this point, I am leaning toward KB-6 runners even though I will end up with a size 8 tip top; something for me to lose sleep over the next few nights lol. While yours is ALWAYS a valued veteran opinion to me, I was hoping for other input as well, even if only to make me lose more sleep.

Mark Talmo

Date: April 26, 2021 07:59PM

JIM ?!?!?

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: April 29, 2021 10:48AM

I like KB's to the top on heavier set-ups. Blank diameter seems to be the indicator for me. If the blank diameter is big enough (all the way to the tip) to support the wider foot of the KB, it's usually a powerful enough blank to "need" KB. At those power levels the weight of KB vs KT is a moot discussion. Take advantage of the little "wicking port" between the legs of the frame, but don't create a big "web" of epoxy there...just enough to flow through and touch the blank ahead of the guide. That's what it's there for.

Posted by: Brandon McQueen (---.hff.mweb.co.za)
Date: April 30, 2021 10:48AM

Jim Ising Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>.... Take advantage of the little
> "wicking port" between the legs of the frame, but
> don't create a big "web" of epoxy there...just
> enough to flow through and touch the blank ahead
> of the guide. That's what it's there for.

Funny that, and so many builders try and avoid it. Fuji put it there for a reason.
The KT7's I typically use on 1-4oz surf plugging rods have not let me down once.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: April 30, 2021 11:21AM

Hey Brandon, yes it is a design feature often overlooked in the K-series runners but I think it is equally used incorrectly. When I say "no web", there is a good reason you don't want a "web" there. Too much epoxy will set up a situation where the guide foot can become a fulcrum that forces that little "web" upward and "pops" the epoxy off the blank under load. That is an invitation to moisture intrusion and problems down the road. When you coat the foot at the base of the frame, allow a tiny bit of epoxy to flow forward through the port until it just touches the blank ahead of the guide. I sometimes push a little bit through with a toothpick. That "film" of epoxy is considerably stronger than most people think and can add a measure of strength that will make "pop-outs" much less likely. If I get too much epoxy oozing through the port (which I often do with these old eyes), I will "floss" out the web with a short piece of clean thread. Billy Vivona showed me the technique mostly as a cosmetic thing but it works beautifully for making sure a little bit of epoxy remains wrapped around the front of the guide.

I should let you build my surf rods, Brandon. I had a runner on a surf rod pop out just the other day but when I looked at it closely it was one where I missed the "port technique" completely.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster