I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread master over varnish
Posted by: Sean Flagg (---)
Date: April 22, 2021 08:52AM

Is it possible to put thread master epoxy over man o war spar varnish? Any issues with adhesion or separation between the two?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread master over varnish
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 22, 2021 10:10AM

Likely to have separation. i.e. unless it doesn't.

If you have man o war spar varnish, perhaps it would make more sense to add an additional coat of Man O war spar varnish which would not be an issue.

Or, remove all of the top coats and start fresh with Thread Master.

Take care

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 22, 2021 10:39AM

If you have separation it'll be between the thread and the varnish, which then lifts whatever is attached to the top of the varnish. What condition is your varnish in?

Date: April 22, 2021 10:40AM

Thanks, Roger. I was planning on using man o war the whole way. I was just curious is all.

Tom, the varnish is new. I bought this quart a month or so ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2021 10:42AM by Sean Flagg.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 22, 2021 10:54AM

Why use varnish? Are you building traditional bamboo rods, where the entire rod is coated with varnish? If you are building fiberglass or graphite rods, just use the Thread Master on the wraps. There is no reason to coat the entire rod with varnish or epoxy. If you need to clear coat use something extremely clear, light, durable and flexible, like Permagloss.
Norm

Date: April 22, 2021 12:07PM

Norman, I've always used epoxy on my wraps. A friend of mine who builds in a very traditional manner said I should try varnish. After a couple test wraps I liked the way the varnish came out so I figured I'd give it a try on this build.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 22, 2021 12:28PM

Then there is really very little reason to apply epoxy over the varnish. Just go with the varnish.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 22, 2021 12:41PM

I agree with Tom.
Norm

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 22, 2021 10:34PM

Sean,
I agree with Tom and Norman and, additionally, am confident modern purpose-built thread epoxy will out-perform even the modern varnishes for our application; but why mix the two? For the optimum protection and durability, go with epoxy; for a certain affect you might desire, go with varnish, but overcoating it with epoxy would cover that effect.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: April 23, 2021 07:39AM

It is not a good idea to put epoxy over varnish over time the epoxy will separate, the only thing I put over varnish is a coat of good quality wax.

Have fun

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster