I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

1-Piece Butt-Grip /Reel Seat / Fore-Grip
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 19, 2021 07:06PM

OK, it is admittedly not 1-piece but the intention of the design was to make it appear so. I had previously fabricated a similar effect using machined olive wood, but the reel feet were exposed. I decided the only feasible way to completely cover the reel feet was to employ fabric, CF in this case, which gave me an opportunity to build my first foam-core / CF grip.
There are actually four, separate pieces of foam; the rear-grip / fixed hood section, the section under (over) the reel, the section covering the moveable hood, and the fore-grip / “nut” section. All were indexed to each other and to the .312in all-thread mandrel as well for shaping because I doubted the mandrel was perfectly straight. After shaping, the foam over the moveable hood must have rotated a bit, unnoticed, before skinning with the CF resulting in that section being a tad non-concentric = dang amateurs! Both ends are devoid of caps or winding checks allowing the ends of the weave to go all the way to the blank. The front "nut" section has a .5in wide white felt "bushing" to avoid scratching the blank.
Although possibly not the first to produce such, it is finished, rather unique, it works and may be the most comfortable spin grip possible short of additionally employing CAD CAM contouring. But with the weave not being perfectly straight and the one misaligned section, I decided to not waste anymore PG to make the finish perfect; that would be like putting perfume on a pig. At least from a prototype aspect it is a success.
rodbuilding.org/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/21712/title/mark-27s-1-piece-seat-2fgrips/cat/507
rodbuilding.org/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/21711/title/mark-27s-1-piece-seat-2fgrips/cat/507
rodbuilding.org/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/21710/title/mark-27s-1-piece-seat-2fgrips/cat/507
rodbuilding.org/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/21709/title/mark-27s-1-piece-seat-2fgrips/cat/507
rodbuilding.org/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/21708/title/mark-27s-1-piece-seat-2fgrips/cat/507
rodbuilding.org/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/21707/title/mark-27s-olive-wood-grip/cat/507
rodbuilding.org/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/21706/title/mark-27s-olive-wood-grip/cat/507

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1-Piece Butt-Grip /Reel Seat / Fore-Grip
Date: April 19, 2021 07:14PM

Oops, sorry! I have a new computer and program and thought I was affording a direct link to the photo section as before. Being a computer infant, I do not know what to do. The photos are under "Grips, Handles and Reel Seats", "Mark's 1-Piece Seat / Grips" and "Mark's Olive Wood Grip".

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 19, 2021 10:40PM

Mark, that is fantastic, if I spin fished, I would want one!

Date: April 19, 2021 11:33PM

Phil,
Your respected, veteran approval is much more than appreciated. I enjoyed the challenge and the outcome was acceptable albeit not perfect.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 20, 2021 10:25AM

Mark, I also thought you did a great job on the handles, both the CF and olive wood. I’m sure no one could afford one with the labor involved in making one. However, as with most things you will get better and faster at making them, and will work out the bugs until you do get it perfect. Take it fishing and see how it performs.
Norm

Date: April 20, 2021 02:01PM

Norman,
Thank you for your comments as well. Actually, the olive wood handle was commissioned and thus paid for; I might have made as much as $2.00 / hour lol!. You are undoubtedly correct in that experience will expedite the process (practice makes perfect); I might be able to get $4.00 / hour lol! They are admittedly quite labor-intensive but wanted to see if it could be done nonetheless and it was basically a success. While rather unique in appearance, the real bonus is the comfort.
I am going to attempt linking the photos again; hope it works.
rodbuilding.org/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/21712/title/mark-27s-1-piece-seat-2fgrips/cat/507
rodbuilding.org/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/21711/title/mark-27s-1-piece-seat-2fgrips/cat/507
rodbuilding.org/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/21710/title/mark-27s-1-piece-seat-2fgrips/cat/507
rodbuilding.org/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/21708/title/mark-27s-1-piece-seat-2fgrips/cat/507
rodbuilding.org/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/21707/title/mark-27s-olive-wood-grip/cat/507
rodbuilding.org/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/21706/title/mark-27s-olive-wood-grip/cat/507

Mark Talmo

Date: April 20, 2021 02:08PM

I will try again.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 20, 2021 02:12PM

Ok, looks like you got it.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2021 02:13PM by Norman Miller.

Date: April 20, 2021 02:17PM

Norman,
Thanks for trying to help a computer idiot like me but I actually figured it out on my own. I can't really blame people for laughing at my computer skills (or lack thereof) but I'm feeling pretty proud of myself right now lol!!!

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Johnny Tan (209.58.139.---)
Date: April 20, 2021 07:32PM

Hi Mark,

Love your custom grip. I have a question, how do you trim off both ends? I don't have much success on closing both ends. After covering with the carbon sleeve, I ended up getting uneven ends, and sometime the sleeve just popup from the form core after the cut. Putting on a winding check or butt cap helps a little, but the gap is visible. Not perfect. I am using the Mudhole CFX Laminating Epoxy. I think it has to do with the epoxy that made the sleeve harden and difficult to cut it perfectly. I have tried hand saw, or sharp knife but nothing help. Do you apply the UB4 or top coat first before you cut it?

Thanks,

- Johnny

Date: April 20, 2021 10:38PM

Johnny,
Thank you for your compliment and interest.
To achieve a “fabric down to the to blank” end, devoid of checks or caps, requires carefully manipulating the ends of the (CF) fabric. This needs to be addressed prior to the sleeve diameter being determined; these fabric sleeves will only expand and contract to a certain extent = try to use a sleeve as small in diameter as possible to cover the largest diameter yet allow it to compress to the smallest diameter. Soller Composites has a fairly good range of diameters. To be honest, I went past the prescribed compression capabilities of the fabric sleeve but it worked-out.
The fore-end is much easier than the concaved butt end. Simply use a zip-tie to START compressing the sleeve about .5in-1in from the end of the foam. Then I used a piece of safety wire looped twice around the fabric to constrict it to the PTFE covered mandrel; looping it twice eliminates the “gap” between the ends as the zip-tie produces. Trim off the end when the epoxy is set but not cured, say 75%.
The procedure for the concaved, butt end is similar, although a conically shaped piece of release ply (plastic sheeting would probably do) is inserted against the wet-out fabric to keep it insulated from sticking to the soft foam cord used to push the fabric into the recess, with a washer and nut on the mandrel to hold all in place. Again, the fabric was trimmed at approximately 75% cured. Neither end will be perfect and will require sanding, after FULLY cured, prior or post to the application of additional epoxy and/or PG.
I hope this explained it well enough.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.delta.com)
Date: April 21, 2021 12:47AM

I've built a couple CF grips and they can be tricky. Looks like there is allot of work involved in everything you did Mark and it looks great.

Posted by: Johnny Tan (172.241.251.---)
Date: April 21, 2021 12:09PM

Hi Mark,

Your explanation is extremely helpful. Thank you so much!

- Johnny

Date: April 21, 2021 01:39PM

Steve,
Thank you for your compliment as well; nothing that 40 hours over 3 weeks can’t accomplish (not including watching epoxy go-off). But it kept me out of trouble and from annoying the wife lol. A good amount of that time was devoted to just planning and figuring-out how to make it happen. The next one (if there ever will be one) would probably require less than half the build time, but still spread-out over quite a few days due to so many separate epoxy steps.

Mark Talmo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster