I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork vs CF grip for tropical build?
Posted by: Roman Chamine (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 17, 2021 01:29PM

Are there any considerations for cork vs. carbon fiber grip on a tropical saltwater 8wt. build?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork vs CF grip for tropical build?
Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: April 17, 2021 04:32PM

I can't think of any angling environment where cork or CF cannot be used, but It would be unfair to compare cork with carbon fiber based on mechanical properties only.

I like the feel of the cork better than CF, but I like the durability of CF better than cork.

Both materials will suit your needs though I think cork will require more care and maintenance.

A lot depends on how the rod will be used, if the abuse factor is high I would lean to CF.

My personal rods have a CF fore grip and a cork rear grip.

Have fun

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 17, 2021 05:18PM

Either will work fine. Since you will be rinsing the rod with lots of fresh water after every day on the water be sure that you use plenty of epoxy at all points of the build to ensure that water does not penetrate into the "guts." Not that with quality components it would be a big problem, but just to be safe. Don't believe those who tell you to immerse the rod and reel. Not necessary and risky for the reel.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 17, 2021 05:50PM

I have fly rods built with both, and both are comfortable and functional. The CF grip is basically bullet proof, and doesn’t get grungy looking like cork does after extended use. I like both. If you haven’t tried a CF grip give one a go. I have used both the CFX and NFC fly rod grips both and are very similar to each other. NFC has the full Wells CF grip on sale for half price ($14.50), a great deal.
Norm

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 17, 2021 08:53PM

Cork does give the advantage of allowing you to shape it. If you buy a CF grip already made you don't have that option. I found myself wishing the NFC full wells was just a tad larger in diameter. I haven't fished it yet so I may end up preferring the diameter though.

IIRC Tom had commented that a CF grip on a fly rod (in particular) is more efficient and reduces fatigue. I think it was due to not being as compressible but you'd have to search posts or ask him.

Chances are you know how cork feels and performs. Why not give the CF a try and decide for yourself. On a 4 pc fly rod it shouldn't be too much work to replace the grip if you don't like it and chances are it will be cheaper than a decent to good quality cork grip.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: April 17, 2021 09:20PM

I installed CF grips on 3 of my personal fly rods. Before I installed them I wet with them TAP water to check if they became slippery when wet. They did not - they actually became more "grippy".
But - they were very slippery when I fished with them in SALT water. Also, were hard on the casting hand after hours of casting. So, I replaced them with cork and never looked back - until 2 months ago.
One of my customers decided he would make custom grips and leave the weave unfinished.
They were very "grippy" even in salt water. But the texture produced blisters in 20 minutes of casting. So, a casting glove is needed. I plan to use this rod for Stripers in RI this Spring thru the Fall to evaluate it thoroughly.
Even if I leave the CF grip on this rob - I will stick to cork for other rods
Herb

Posted by: Roman Chamine (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2021 09:49AM

Thank you for the responses! Sounds like either will work, but cork may still have an edge over CF.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (172.58.35.---)
Date: April 20, 2021 12:24AM

Cork is also lighter. Not sure if that is an advantage.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 20, 2021 11:23AM

Just weighed a cork full wells grip ( decent cork but not the best) vs a CFX CF full well of approximately the same size and the CF grip was a few grams lighter. Also weighed an NFC CF full Wells grip and it was also lighter than the cork grip, but it was also a little shorter than the cork grip. Comparing CF grips from various manufacturers the CFX grips were the lightest, then the NFC grips, next, and the Batson grips the heaviest. It depends on the density of the foam used for the core.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster