I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel Seat Placement
Posted by: Tom Wood (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 15, 2021 07:46PM

I could use some advice on reel seat placement for maximum casting distance. I am building my second surf rod, a 12' 8" CCP, conventional set up, with a Fuji DPSM 22 mm seat, Kw guides, 25 0r 20, 16, 12, 10, two 8s, and a 8 or 10 ring tip. Some say to measure from the arm pit extending the arm down the blank to the thumb resting point. Others recommend placing the butt in the center of the chest and extending the arm down to the thumb resting point. Is it better to use the longer dimension for further casting distance? Also is there a preferred method for measuring distance from the reel to the first guide? Is this similar to the method used for a spinning reel?

I would greatly appreciate any guidance on the seat placement, and if it is better to use the 25 or 20 mm guide. Again I am a novice and want to get this set up right.

Tom Wood

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2021 07:57PM by Tom Wood.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel Seat Placement
Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.212.40.162.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 16, 2021 05:18PM

I've always set my rod up from the fighting part of fishing. I put the butt where I'll have it when reeling in a fish. This is typically my lower abdomen. Then I put my non-reeling hand where I'll have it when fighting a good sized fish, which is usually where the foregrip will go. Then I put my reeling hand where it feels best to crank the handle. That's how I set it up. As far as the guides go; what reel do you plan on using and what line will you have on the reel?

Date: April 16, 2021 05:24PM

AKIOS 656 reel, 17 lb mono

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2021 05:27PM by Tom Wood.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 16, 2021 08:04PM

I'm not a surf caster but I have always been curious to try casting with the reel in the low position with the weak hand thumb on the spool. I'd probably put a regular reel seat around 26" from the butt of the rod and use the breakaway coasters when casting low and regular seat for fishing. Wouldn't be too bad for bait to move the reel after casting and just cast in normal/high position for lures.

Worth taking a look at if you haven't heard of it.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: April 16, 2021 09:12PM

Thanks for the input.

Tom in Bethany Beach, DE

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: April 16, 2021 09:37PM

I wouldn't take any chances of making a mistake if you plan on having a reel seat permanently attached . You should tape that reel to the blank at various positions and go through the motions and find out which position you're most comfortable with as far as hand placement . Conventional surf casting builds typically have wider spacing of the hands to generate the power needed to throw those 12 and 13 foot rods impressive distances meaning a longer overall butt length is the norm unless you prefer what Russell mentioned which is the reel near the bottom of the rod for casting purposes.

Since you bought a CCP Tommy Farmer heaver I would suggest watching Tommy Farmer on You Tube he explains exactly how to set up and cast those exact models that he sells , Hatteras heavers is what many call those giant sticks . Tommy happens to be a gem of a guy always willing to help and he loves and sells those Akios reel models .

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 17, 2021 01:12AM

Tom,
For maximum casting distance, many folks do a running cast.

Are you planning on doing running casts - when you are going for maximum distance.

If so, you may want the reel in a different location than if you were stationary when you do your casting.

Take care

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 17, 2021 01:14AM

Here is a video of some long distance casting competitions.

Observe when the folks are waling away with their long rod tucked under their arm.

You can get a pretty good idea of where these folks have their reels that they use when they are doing championship long distance casting.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: April 17, 2021 08:31AM

Great suggestion, I have watched Tommy's videos, and will ask him for guidance.

Date: April 17, 2021 08:32AM

Thanks so much.

Date: April 17, 2021 11:40AM

Thanks Roger,

My casts are fairly stationary, turning and shifting my weight, much like a golfer.

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster