I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What do I have here?
Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.210.nulinkdigital.com)
Date: April 15, 2021 06:06PM

Woke up this morning and found a bunch of old rods for sale on marketplace for $20. Messaged the guy and went to meet him. I got a bunch of fiberglass rods and some graphite too that I can use for repairs and what have you. A Shimano Aeroglas Rod has this stripper guide, never seen this before. It is spring loaded and folds down for storage I guess when not in use. Also, I got a custom rod out of New York that has what looks like an early attempt at repairing a broken rod.

How can I add some photos to this post?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What do I have here?
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 15, 2021 06:51PM

Steve,
Even without seeing them, you found and made a great purchase, if for nothing else = conversation pieces; I am even, admittedly, a tad jealous. If any of them are in good enough condition, GO OUT AND FISH THEM!!! You might be surprised how well they fish (if your arm can handle the weight) although don't expect them to match-up to a KR Concept rod. Norman Miller gave me a vintage folding stripper guide which is very cool and interesting but it alone must weigh more than a modern complete guide train! Please post some pictures here or send them directly to my email; there may more than just me who would love to see whacha got!.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.210.nulinkdigital.com)
Date: April 15, 2021 08:33PM

Mark, I am sending you an email.

Steve

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 17, 2021 10:04AM

I had one of these back in the day. I remember the over-sized, collapsible strippper guide had a ring of silver metal inside an outer guide frame, and the rest of the rod had the barest minimum number of guides. I'm guessing 60's or early 70's.

Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.delta.com)
Date: April 18, 2021 09:39PM

here are some pictures of the folding guide I mentioned above

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2021 09:40PM by Steve Chontos.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 18, 2021 10:21PM

Looks very much like an old Fuji folding guide. The ones I had, had a fluorescent shock ring and could be primed with light to make them fluoresce at night so the rod could be seen. Because they folded down it allowed for the rod to be stored in a much smaller rod tube or bundle of rods when transporting. A very cool guide.
Norm

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 19, 2021 08:23PM

Norman,
You didn't tell me the folding guide you gave me was radio-active!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 21, 2021 08:39AM

Steve Chontos Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> here are some pictures of the folding guide I
> mentioned above
>
> [www.rodbuilding.org]
> p/photo/21703/title/folder-1/cat/506
>
> [www.rodbuilding.org]
> p/photo/21704/title/folder-2/cat/506

I never heard of folding guides. Very cool.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster