I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

To Hook Keep or not to Hook Keep that is the question
Posted by: Ancelmo Fernandez (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: April 14, 2021 09:41AM

I am building a rod for stinger rigs and live baits that will utilize a tandem hook rigs. My question is how many of you would use a hook keeper on a similar build? Even though there would be one of the two hooks not held by a keeper, I would still prefer to have something secured to the rod. I was thinking of using one of the AT Deluxe Hook Keepers for these deadly rigs.

[www.americantackle.us]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: To Hook Keep or not to Hook Keep that is the question
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 14, 2021 11:56AM

Yes to keepers on all but fly rods. I use the location just in front of the ramp/front grip, 180 degrees and have never had line tangling during fishing. I had problems when putting them at 90 degrees as some builder a long time ago recommended to me.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 14, 2021 12:22PM

there are lots of types out there, the only question is will you use it ??? lots of people DON'T , if
don't use them why invest time an money in putting them on the blank an not use it ??
I don't use them on my "" RODS "" [ personal ]

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 14, 2021 01:47PM

Hook keeper on all my rods.

If using a split grip, I put the hook keeper right next to the butt grip.

Good luck

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: April 14, 2021 02:06PM

You know what you like for your personal rods, but if its for a customer ask them if they want a hook keeper and show them the different types available.

I use hook keepers on all my rods.

For my soft bait rods I use the single foot keeper, for the rest I use the snake style.

I never use the hinged ring style.

Have fun

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 14, 2021 02:52PM

Encelmo,
Hook keepers are certainly a personal choice = they are neither right or wrong, good or bad. While I cannot really explain my reasoning, I use them on freshwater but not saltwater rods. There are many styles commercially available but I have never found a better, more versatile one than Norman Miller's "Open-end Hookkeeper"!!! They are quick and easy to make, as low profile as you wish to make it, very handsome and obviously custom-made to adorn and compliment your custom rod! See his article in RodMaker magazine, V-21 / I-1.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: April 15, 2021 09:42AM

I agree it is personal choice. Personally I have no use for them. My casting reel hold baits just fine on the body or the arm. Spinning I use the stripper guide base. For someone else I always show them a double foot, drop shot/t-rig, and a loop style to see which they prefer.

Posted by: Thomas F. Thornhill (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: April 15, 2021 10:32PM

I've been working for over thirty years as an outwrapper. I have wrapped rods for Loomis, Lamiglas, Sage, Winston, Cabela's, Penn, Sage and many more throughout the years and all of them built on the straightest axis. For the most part when the average person buys a rod they do two things they shake the rod to see how it feels and they look down the rod to see how straight it is. If it is crooked they grab the next rod. Rod companies know this and want to sell rods.

Opps, posted this in the wrong thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2021 09:54PM by Thomas F. Thornhill.

Posted by: Ancelmo Fernandez (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: April 16, 2021 11:06AM

Thank you guys for the opinions. I really appreciate all the feedback I received from this topic. I will end up using a hook keeper on this specific build just to curse myself later on by getting the line wrapped around it while a big kingfish is peeling drag of the spool.

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: April 16, 2021 02:58PM

I use the 'Pop on / Pop off ' type which I make by heating a slender piece of PVC plastic and using a metal rod the same diameter of the rod blank to mold it to fit snug. It's easy to snap into place and remove . I use a piece of peel & stick foam on the inside with just the lip of the PVC sticking up with a hole in it for a hook keeper.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster