I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Minima vs Fuji for UL Build
Posted by: Tucker Jacobson (---.188)
Date: April 12, 2021 09:17PM

Hi there,

So far I've built several spinning rods, all using Minima M and F guides, using the 27x or KR concept. I've always considered trying Fuji K guides but kept going back to Minimas because I had them on hand and the price.

I have to order guides anyway, and decided to spend the extra few dollars on Fuji guides for this build, but then I started wondering if they were actually better for this rod. I'm putting together a 7'3" L Elliot blank using the KR concept. I'll be using very light braid to cast jigs around 1/16 oz for bluegills and crappies. I'll tie a mono leader to the braid with an FG knot so likely using my standard #4 Minima fly guides or 4.5 Fuji runners to make sure the knot passes with no hiccups.

It's a nice crisp feeling blank and I'd like to maintain that. Will the heavier Fuji guides soften the feel more than Minimas will? I'm planning to use a Fuji or similar tip top with ceramic insert. I've found they are a little quieter and feel smoother when using braid.

Thanks for any input you have!

Tucker

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Minima vs Fuji for UL Build
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 12, 2021 09:40PM

Okay, I'll just toss this out. The Fuji guides are exceptional. Order them and don't look back. In the meantime, order the Minimas as well. They're not expensive. Now mock the rod up with both guides and try it. This will teach you more than any "definitive" advice you'll get here. One way or the other, whichever set you don't use on this rod you'll find a use for on another rod.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 12, 2021 10:54PM

The entire Minima set of guides is lighter than the entire Fuji KR set of guides. However, almost all of that difference in weight is due to the reduction guides, the running guides are very close in weight. Because of this the Fuji KB/KT runners will not add any extra weight to the tip section of the rod. The rod will still have a nice crisp feel. I agree with Tom get both sets, do a mock up and see which you like. Guides never go to waste. Because of the fast action of the Elliot blank, and the resultant stiffer butt, I don’t think you will even notice the difference in weight between the two guide sets. The Fuji KR guides are more durable.
Norm

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 12, 2021 11:00PM

Try the Fuji K guides, if you don't like them you can always go back to what you know. Remember you had to try the minimas for the first time, who knows you may like the Fuji K guides.
At this point it is not a matter of quality its a matter of personal satisfaction..

Have fun

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 13, 2021 12:45AM

Tucker,
For all of my UL rods, I use minima guides. In a word, they simply work very well.

However, when going to ML rods I really prefer using the Fuji K guides.

If you are going to use braid - I would specifically say that the Fuji K guides with their angle - virtually eliminate the issues with braid and wind knots when casting.

The minima are not bad in that category, but the Fuji K guides do have a clear advantage in the area of wind knots reduction.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 13, 2021 09:34AM

You won't have any trouble with knot passage on Fugi 4's. That's my go to guide and I use 15 FC leader with 15 braid, the leader being most likely much heavier than you are using. I use my "improved" Alberto which is the standard Alberto with two braid half hitches to finish it.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: April 13, 2021 10:55AM

Try using Recoil Guides for the running guides they are lighter than both the Minima or the Fuji KB/KT runners. That is what G-Loomis uses are the upper end pricey rods, (or use to). Super light.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 13, 2021 11:37AM

The stainless framed Fuji KT guides with an Alconite ring are lighter than the equivalent sized Minima guide.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 13, 2021 03:42PM

Tucker,
You have received many good replies from respected veterans. It is no secret that I am a Fuji fan, employing them on 95% of my builds, but have tried the Minimas as well; both work but I like the Fujis better. While Lance's reply is the first I have heard proclaiming the KTs are LIGHTER than the Minima Fs, they are certainly very close/similar in weight which is important the further out on the tip of the rod; the reduction guides closer to the rod's fulcrum have must less effect on the speed or crispness. But even when using Minimas, I always employ a Fuji LG tip top. When weight is paramount, the Minimas are OK; when durability is paramount, stick with Fuji.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 13, 2021 06:47PM

Try it both ways, and use the Fujis. Lol It'll be a better rod. (Big Elliot fan)

Posted by: Tucker Jacobson (---.linksnacks.com)
Date: April 14, 2021 12:04PM

Thanks to all for such great replies. Pretty universal recommendiations for the Fujis. I ordered a set for the rod mentioned above as well as a ML Rainshadow Immortal that I have on my list to build also.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 14, 2021 09:10PM

Tucker,
You would be hard-pressed to find a person who says a Fuji guide is a bad guide!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster