I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
matching fly rod to fly caster
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 11, 2021 11:04AM

When you build a fly rod for someone do you ask to watch the customer cast first? If not, what questions do you ask your customer about the practical, physical [opposed to decorative] qualities he/she desires in the rod you will build?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: matching fly rod to fly caster
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 11, 2021 12:58PM

I use a comprehensive interview/checklist format, wherein I ask a lot of questions about their casting. Below is a short list of the points I try to cover.

1. Fly fishing experience; length of time, species and waters.
2. Use for new rod
3. Ability: how they rate their casting.
4. Casting problems, needing improvement
5. Preferred rod action
6. Current favorite rod, and why.

Posted by: Randy Hively (---.chtn.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 11, 2021 03:13PM

OK here are my answers to your question, tell me what you recommend
1. flyfishing for 20 years. Trout in small streams mostly wild brook and brown trout. some stocked trout. I live and fish in West Virginia
2. Wild brook and brown trout
3. Self taught, I can get it where I want it.
4. Not like in the movies. Large loop is common
5. not fast graphite, not slow glass
6. Helios 2. 8'4" mid flex 2 wt . It just feels good.

I have numerous fly rods. Some that I have built, some that I have bought. The helios is my go to rod. The last rod that I built is a CTS.

Date: April 11, 2021 05:37PM

What is missing is, the weight of rod your are wanting.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: April 11, 2021 07:28PM

That could be pretty much defined under species and water and usage

Date: April 11, 2021 09:22PM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is missing is, the weight of rod your are
> wanting.

Thanks Phil, I read all of your posts and you always make me think about rod building in a different light.. I'm sure that if we could sit down face to face that you would be able to determine what blanks that I should be building for myself. I have many fly rods that I thought I would like but on the days on the stream that I don't take the Helios I always wish that I did. I mostly fish a dry flys, size 16 and 18, my longest cast is probable 40 feet. I think that makes a difference too. I do enjoy your thought producing posts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2021 09:33PM by Randy Hively.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 12, 2021 08:46AM

Back in the day much was made of the ideal fly rod actions used for fishing dry flies versus wet flies. I guess this is no longer the case? Where short leaders are necessary short rods are usually required, and vice-versa. Some fly-fishers like to over-line, some to underline their rods. Roll - casters like longer rods. Double-haulers like fast action rods. And these are just the practical, not the decorative differences. I wonder if choice of components is more often the result of emotion-based advertisements or the physical needs of the individual angler?

Date: April 12, 2021 11:48AM

Randy, for the type of fishing you mention, I think you are well equipped with the Helios 2 2wt. For that type of fishing i use either a 7ft 3wt Tom Morgan glass rod or a 3wt IM6 Winston.

My very favorite rod is a 9ft 5wt CTS Affinity X. For me, rods are like golf clubs................there are those you have a feeling for and those you do not.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: April 12, 2021 11:55AM

And then there is the grip; the caster's primary interface with the rod. Not just the shape (Wells, half Wells, reversed half Wells, Ritz, cigar, torpedo, etc.) but length and diameter ought to be custom to the caster's hand, casting style and expected use for the rod. Frankly, if the grip is wrong the war is lost before battle is joined.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 12, 2021 12:40PM

A couple of things that come up
1. - type an size of fish / weight ,
2.- the water , size an type , small brooks , Salt water
3.- the arm length , [ stripper guide ? where to put it ]
4.- type of grip they want ,
5. - type of action they want ? slow, fast , in between ,?
6.- ROD ? glass, carbon , Bamboo ,
7.- Type of guides they want ?
. that comes up in my head on a custom made FLY ROD

If they don't know send them to the local big box store an look around an buy what they want , an they will be happy . I think

William Sidney
AK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2021 01:20PM by Bill Sidney.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2021 03:27PM

I always go over a bunch of stuff with a potential customer, many of the items were covered in the above posts. Its also a plus when a customer is local, usually have them visit me and test cast a few rods. I also get those customers that know exactly what they want in a blank, they are just looking to get it built out, sure I engage in conversation to see what steered them towards this blank.

Randy, for what you mention as to conditions that you fish, I'd be all over a Glass 7'-9" in either a 3 or 4wt. Glass is not that slow, sure some of the stuff out there is like a wet noddle, but there are plenty of options on quality Glass that are not "slow" by any means, and still feel light in the hand. Another option is Low Modulus Carbon, 33 million, there are a few small companies rolling blanks on that stuff and it is pretty sweet if you like deeper flexing Carbon rods.

Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: April 12, 2021 07:47PM

Holy Smokes!!! I don't know if you all are too serious or if I'm not serious enough!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 13, 2021 02:06AM

Lamiglas once made a blank that was three piece, the tip was glass, the mid composite, and the butt graphite. Blue Creek series I believe was the name..
I'm not so sure many fly anglers really know what they want/need in the world of fast and faster rods there are are a bunch of anglers who love my Winston 8 1/2 ft. 5 wt. WT.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2021 10:21PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Ernie Blum (47.204.165.---)
Date: April 13, 2021 11:45AM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
> When you build a fly rod for someone do you ask to
> watch the customer cast first?

I have been fly fishing and fly casting for over fifty years, and I am wondering what watching someone cast with a fly rod would accomplish, other than get an idea of whether or not they seem to know what they are doing. As for matching that person with a fly rod (fly rod outfit), how does one make that happen?

I can remember when the concept of the use of graphite first started to take off. What I remember most is how the new technology was suddenly going to make all the either terrible or mediocre fly casters tournament competitors......in their own minds of course. A good or great fly caster is a joy to watch in action. Give a lousy caster an outfit with all the latest technology, and he or she is still a lousy caster! Give someone who knows what he or she is doing an old beat up outfit, and then be amazed.

If someone has some cosmetic preferences, one can comply. If someone has a handle preference....this is a practical issue based on preference that might reflect the physical size of the hand of the angler, or possibly just how the handle shape feels to that particular person. And of course, the rod length and weight line it will likely be asked to launch is a major factor. Many times one may change the "designated" line weight for a particular circumstance. For shorter cast circumstances, the designated line weight may be a little too light to load the rod. If the casting circumstances will be longer casts on average, the designated line may actually be a little too heavy at the longer lengths and overbear the rod. A lighter weight line might then be in order. And all of the former revolves around what the rod is being built to fish for in the first place!

Bottom line....a properly matched outfit.....rod and line....is likely the most important aspect for the potential of good (or better) performance FOR EVERYONE, regardless of skill at the art. The good casters will continue to perform well (or better), and the less adept just need to practice more and not blame their equipment for same!! :-)

Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: April 13, 2021 12:54PM

AMEN to Ernie! Thanks!

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 13, 2021 06:37PM

I have hesitated to post because I don't consider myself a fly rod fisherman. I learned when I lived in Tenn for awhile so I have only done the fresh water thing. I always wanted to get into saltwater fly fishing, just never had the time and means.

I think I have begun to realize I was casting entirely wrong. I used a lot of shoulder rotation. It worked well for a cast that would allow the belly of the fly line to touch the water and the rest to unfurl and place a popping bug under overhanging tree limbs. In short it worked for me and nobody commented I was doing it all wrong. Watching some YouTube videos it seems I should be using more of a "chicken wing" type of motion .

Honestly I don't know, and I am humble enough that I don't mind looking like a total idiot asking. Could be that one would employ totally different styles depending on conditions.

I could only imagine half of you snickering and the other half running for cover if you asked to see me cast a fly rod.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: April 13, 2021 08:35PM

If a person who couldn't cast a fly line 35 feet and was happy with that wanted a rod built I would put all my efforts into the decorations on that rod and ignore everything else. As long as the ferrules and tip-top are secure all rods are equally accurate, and any fly rod will cast 35 feet.

Date: April 14, 2021 03:28PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
> Back in the day much was made of the ideal fly rod
> actions used for fishing dry flies versus wet
> flies. I guess this is no longer the case? Where
> short leaders are necessary short rods are usually
> required, and vice-versa. Some fly-fishers like to
> over-line, some to underline their rods. Roll -
> casters like longer rods. Double-haulers like fast
> action rods. And these are just the practical, not
> the decorative differences. I wonder if choice of
> components is more often the result of
> emotion-based advertisements or the physical needs
> of the individual angler?

My belief is that the more a person uses a rod the more they will like it. I think that the user's casting style will change to get the most out of a rod. When I purchased and built the Affinity 2wt I really believed that it would become my favorite rod for 2 reasons. because I built it the way I wanted it, (unlike the store bought the Helios) and because it is a little shorter. But I have taken it to the stream 3 times and so far it is not my favorite. Before the Helios I used and Orvis TLS, which by most fly fishermen was the worst rod Orvis ever sold. I used that rod for 13 years and would still be using it had I not closed in the car door.

Date: April 14, 2021 03:35PM

Bill Hickey Wrote:
> I always go over a bunch of stuff with a potential
> customer, many of the items were covered in the
> above posts. Its also a plus when a customer is
> local, usually have them visit me and test cast a
> few rods. I also get those customers that know
> exactly what they want in a blank, they are just
> looking to get it built out, sure I engage in
> conversation to see what steered them towards this
> blank.
>
> Randy, for what you mention as to conditions that
> you fish, I'd be all over a Glass 7'-9" in either
> a 3 or 4wt. Glass is not that slow, sure some of
> the stuff out there is like a wet noddle, but
> there are plenty of options on quality Glass that
> are not "slow" by any means, and still feel light
> in the hand. Another option is Low Modulus Carbon,
> 33 million, there are a few small companies
> rolling blanks on that stuff and it is pretty
> sweet if you like deeper flexing Carbon rods.

I have a 4wt Iconoglass blank just waiting on me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2021 03:43PM by Randy Hively.

Date: April 14, 2021 05:06PM

Randy, you will find that blank builds out to be a great rod! I built one and fished if heavily in Montana this summer on 3 different rivers and loved how it cast and handled fish, even some quite large ones.

On one trip, the guide said" "holy moly your throwing that line well over 60 feet with no effort" He ended up talking me out of it, so I must build another.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster