I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best approach to deepen the reel seat pocket in a cork grip?
Posted by: Joshua Kennedy (---.neo.rr.com)
Date: April 10, 2021 11:40PM

I have already fastened a stint (glass blank) but my reel seat lock is just a fraction of an inch taller than the pocket is deep. If I epoxy the reel seat as-is I'm afraid the small gap will be unsightly and possibly let in some water. Is there any way to grind down the surface inside the grip without widening the inner diameter?

I have pictures to illustrate, but I can't figure out how to attach them to this message.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best approach to deepen the reel seat pocket in a cork grip?
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2021 01:15AM

Since the reelseat is not epoxied yet why not file down the portion of the seat that fits into the pocket? Clamp the seat in a vice with aprox. the amount you want to remove above the vice jaws, file slowly til seat is flush with the jaws. If it is a small amount should not effect anything. I can't recall ever seeing a reel that bottomed out in the reelseat hood.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 11, 2021 01:35AM

Or use a Dremel flat faced grinding stone, and just deepen the inlet by a fraction of an inch. Use a grinding stone with a smaller diameter than the inlet. Very easy to do, and only takes a few seconds. I have done this many time with inlets which weren’t deep enough for the reel seat hood.
Norm

Date: April 11, 2021 02:22AM

Thanks, this is what I would have tried had I not already installed the stint, but very hard to remove that and start over now. I will check this before installing the stint from now on!

Date: April 11, 2021 02:23AM

This is what I'm leaning toward. Thanks.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: April 17, 2021 01:24PM

I'm not sure if anyone commented on this.

1. I am surprised by how CONSISTENT the blanks are in breaking strength. Every single blank with the natural soft axis broke in the 22+ lbs range. Every blank in the strong axis broke in the 23+ lbs range except for one at 24.1 lbs. The data actually gives me confidence in building. I've always wondered about consistency of break strength.

2. I build UL and notice that between dozens of the same blank, there can be a noticeable difference in power between different production batches. And building on the soft or stiff axis makes a measurable difference when fishing when using ultralight lures and jigging them. So I build more on what I need out of the power rather than straightest axis.

3. Thanks Tom for sharing that article on breaking 50 blanks. Kudos for the effort. I am sure that took quite a bit of time as you were suspending and adding in 0.1 lbs increments - for all 50 blanks. Wow.

Question for you Tom if you are still following - HOW did you attach weight to the blank tip capable of holding 20+ lbs? For UL I just attach weights using masking tape but that is not the most elegant method. I once had a blank tested by a manufacturer and they sent me photos and had some kind of rubber tube that the simply put on the blank tip and the pulling tension tightened it. I could never find that thingamajig. Thanks.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: April 17, 2021 01:27PM

deleted. Posted by mistake.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster