I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MB 736 Spinning 6'11"
Posted by: Aaron Petersen (---.231.32.247.158.ip.kansas.net)
Date: April 10, 2021 08:52PM

I was commissioned for a 6'9" to 7' "Medium Heavy Finesse" rod by a local bass tournament angler. I took the time to really figure out what it was he truly desired and what he was throwing. We decided the solution was to cut down the MB 736 to 6'10" so the butt cap would make it a total of 6'11". The goal was performance first and finish with just a touch of color.

Blank: MB 736 cut to 6'10"
Guide train: Fuji BC Grey Fazelite 16H, 8H, 5.5L, 5 runners, 5 Fuji BCLGFT top.
Handle: NFC Soft Touch carbon VSS Split.
Reel Seat: Fuji VSS, SKSS hood with Blue accent carbon sleeve and blue aluminum trim.
Total weight: 3.9oz

I am excited that every build is improvement over the last. A lot of that is thanks to this amazing community of great people. Biggest of thanks to all of you who over the last year have helped me improve at a much accelerated rate over the first two years of building and teaching myself.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Again, thank you so much for the information you share and the lessons that have been taught.

Aaron Petersen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2021 08:53PM by Aaron Petersen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MB 736 Spinning 6'11"
Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 10, 2021 09:11PM

Looks great Aaron. Nice clean work. Well done! As far as the choice of blank and the trimming you did, I am betting that makes an awesome spinning rod. I'm thinking it's probably awesome for dragging tubes and shaky head jigs in the 1/4 - 3/8 oz range. Bet it's a heck of a wacky rigged 5" Senko rod as well.

I have 2 rods built on that blank, they're both full length and built as casting rods. It's a very versatile blank, and the sensitivity is if from another galaxy.

Once again, very nice work, and great job on blank selection and the thought process you went through to come up with a rod that I am sure he is out of his mind happy with. It's what custom is all about.

Re: MB 736 Spinning 6'11"
Posted by: Aaron Petersen (---.231.32.247.158.ip.kansas.net)
Date: April 10, 2021 09:35PM

Thank you David.

He throws a lot of larger shakey head on heavier than normal shakey head line. Some 1/4 finesse jigs and whacky rigs. His biggest complaint about his fairly high end retail rods were the weight. He did not have all day comfort and he told a story where he abandoned a working patterb because he was fatigued by his rod.

When I test cast it all I did was tie on a 1/4" flat washer. 20yds with a wrist flick. But I could not believe the way I could feel the grass when I drug it back. He is a big jig fisherman and I made the client an SJ 736 casting for his 3/8 to 1/2 oz needs. He has been loving it as well.

The best part about both those rods was that the reel seat fit perfect. When cut down the size 16 VSS needed 0 arbors. I actually slightly reamed the inside to get it down where I needed it. Ultra sensitive and less glue.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster