I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

hook keepers
Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: April 09, 2021 08:35PM

When you all build a quality high end rod, what hook keeper do you tend to use? I am building a rod now and using REC titanium running guides and fuji titanium strippers with sic inserts. I also used a nickel silver winding check. I haven't been able to find a titanium or nickel keeper. REC has a titanium keeper but it is a single foot type with a ring. I realize it's not a big deal and perhaps a non issue for most but I like uniformity. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: hook keepers
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 09, 2021 09:06PM

I make my own Norman Miller style as detailed in Rodmaker magazine. I don't know which issue. (Open end hook keeper)

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 09, 2021 09:06PM

Todd,
Just use a silver colored stainless hook keeper, It will match the nickle winding check.

Ti-chrome keeper:

[www.mudhole.com]

Chrome keeper:

[www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 09, 2021 09:17PM

Seaguide makes titanium hook keepers.
[rodbuilderswarehouse.com]

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: April 09, 2021 09:33PM

If you want to use the OHM symbol shape "U" with feet you can get 20 gauge (.031in) Titanium wire in 5 ft lengths and make your own or you could use this wire to make any shape keeper you like.

The keepers I use I make are from stainless steel weld wire. It takes a little effort but well worth it.
Have fun

Posted by: Barry Weaver (---)
Date: April 09, 2021 10:11PM

just use a rec snake guide, they also have single foot hook keepers.

Date: April 10, 2021 09:07AM

Thanks to everybody for the good information! Great suggestions and ideas!

Posted by: Robert Ford (---)
Date: April 11, 2021 02:44AM

I am not a fan of hook keepers. Just my take.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 11, 2021 07:29AM

I like Alps size 3 single foot fly guides in glossy black finish located at 180 degrees just forward of the front ramp/grip. They just disappear, being so thin and dark, go with any other finishes since they are so unobtrusive. If bent slightly to the srear they even work fairly well as a drop shot keeper. They are also very corrosion resistant as opposed to most keepers that are called "stainless steel," but with no detail on what type of stainless or how corrosion resistant they are. Some are not very resistant.

That location has never given me any troubles with line getting caught on the keeper, and being close to the griip a lure left on it won't get its hooks tangled in rod socks.

The REC keeper is a very good one, too, if looking for a bright finish.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 11, 2021 10:20AM

Here’s a picture of an open end hook keeper I make from grade 2 titanium welding wire. Never corrodes, looks good, is easy to make, and costs about 15 cents.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Norm

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 11, 2021 10:40AM

Hello All.

The article Norman wrote is in volume 21 - issue 1 - page 14 of RodMaker Magazine and gives good instructions to make your own.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Mark D Schulte (---)
Date: April 11, 2021 01:00PM

I'm a fan of the hydra hook keeper for the bass rods I build.
[www.hydrafishing.com]

Date: April 13, 2021 08:29AM

Mark, I like the the looks of the hydra HK but for a spinning rod. I am building a 3wt fly rod. Thanks to all of you for your input and advice.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 13, 2021 10:28AM

Oh you didn’t mention that fact. Changes everything.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster