I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Strongest blank axis
Posted by: Robert Flowers (---)
Date: April 09, 2021 08:07PM

How do you find the strongest axis on the lower half of a 4 piece fly rod blank?

Tight lines and frisky fish

RJF

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Strongest blank axis
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 09, 2021 08:55PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Generally it'll be along the straightest plane, curve up.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: April 09, 2021 10:56PM

Robert,
If you wish to spine a blank - the most important sections to spine are the tip (S4) and the next section down (S3).
When I spine the butt (S1) - I assemble S1 and S2 and spine them assembled. If S1 has a logo - make sure that it is oriented properly when spined. If not - rotate S2 until the logo is oriented properly.
Herb

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: April 10, 2021 12:00PM

Robert,
BTW - again, IF you do want to spine a 4 pc fly rod - after you spine the S4, S3 and the assembled S1 and S2 - you must assemble all sections and spine again - butt on a hard surface (Floor).
Since all sections will affect the spine of the assembled rod, you may have to re-mark S3 and S4 if they twist while spiniing. Keeping the rod all assembled - simply erase the spine marks on S3 and S4 and remark S3 and S4 while spining the assembled blank.
Herb

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 10, 2021 05:21PM

As long as the same force is applied a rod will cast to the same place - unless the tip top is loose. No amount of fiddling with spines of rod segments will make an angler a more accurate caster.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 11, 2021 07:15PM

If it's difficult to find it doesn't matter. No significant difference no matter how you orient it.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 12, 2021 10:21PM

The spine on a 4pc fly rod butt section is irrelevant! Does not effect anything and has no benefit!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2021 10:23PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---)
Date: April 14, 2021 10:53PM

I watched a video by Gary Loomis. In it, he stated that the guides should be placed on the spine, or on the belly of the rod blank. His reasoning was that when the rod is loaded, and unloaded, there is a natural oscillation that takes place at the tip. If the guides aren't aligned properly, then the caster will cast, usually, with the guides facing skyward, or toward the ground. The rod will begin to oscillate sideways, and throw off the accuracy. Of course if we are using another plane for the cast, then this no longer applies. The strength differences are also negligible. The guide placement with relation to the axis won't make much difference, though building along the stiffest axis will give you about 2% more lifting power.

So for me, I will stick with placing my tip to midpoint guides on the belly, and my midpoint to stripper on the stiffest axis.

Tight lines and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 16, 2021 09:36AM

The spine won't be on the "belly" of the rod blank. The belly is the underside of the natural curve or warp of the rod's straightest axis.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 19, 2021 12:49PM

Claims that building on (or off) spine makes a rod more accurate or stronger or cast farther add credibility to accusations that fishermen are compulsive storytellers: full of bologna.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster