I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread - quality, and bubbles in finish - what Brand?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: April 09, 2021 06:56AM

I have been using a lot of Pro Wrap lately with good results. Recently got some spools with a lot of "fuzzies" and it's driving me nuts.

I found with Pro Wrap I can apply finish bubbles come out easy, which is great. It seems some other brands keep releasing bubbles for hours, almost to no end - you always end up with a few. It appears the threads that look coarse do this more. To a much less degree I have had this issue with Fuji thread. Using Makoi in the past worked great - would finish super smooth, no bubble issues - but it's harder to get.

Anyone else run into these issues? And what thread have you found the best to work with currently?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread - quality, and bubbles in finish - what Brand?
Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: April 09, 2021 08:09AM

I have used a lot of Pro Wrap and Fuji. The last rod that left the bench on Wednesday I was using fuji size A NOCP in black. Usually I used Pro Wrap but I was almost out of black and wanted uniformity so I used the new Fuji spool. On the second guide I noticed a bit of fuzz. I unwrapped it and spooled of about 10 yards to find a huge thread separation. In my limited time building I had never seen this. I I cut it out and all was fine. I did notice some really finite bubbles that weren't there when I initially coated the wraps. I spotted them as I went back and was able to get them out. I was using Pro Kote medium build.

I assume the bubbles were coming from fuzz I could not see due to being very small. I think the NOCP Fuji is a bit softer to the touch vs Pro Wrap and I feel like I can cut my tags on Pro Wrap for two builds before I change my razor where with Fuji if I don't change blades every build I will end up with a tag end single strand that requires burning down.

I am not sure if this is the correct thing to do, but when I have fuzz from a tag cut or from shedding I make a quick burner pass to remove the fuzz. It works well on small fuzz. Don't expect it to cure a poor tag cut though. it will just make a spike in the nylon wrap. If that happens either re-wrap or coat it, once set use a razor to smoothly cut the burr, and add a second coat of finish.

A.P.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 09, 2021 12:14PM

Marc,
I have no sympathy for a spool of thread that fuzzes when wrapping or when finishing.

Any time that I find a spool of thread that is giving me some fuzz on a wrap - I stop - cut the thread, and throw the spool of thread in the trash.

Burned once is enough for me.

99% of the spools of thread do not fuzz when wrapping. So, I have no sympathy that give me a fuzz on a wrap - it is removed from the wrapper and ejected into the garbage can.

That spool of thread will never ever give me a fuzzy wrap ever again.

good luck

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 09, 2021 04:57PM

I've used Fuji, Gudebrod, Pro Wrap, and a couple other brands, and have never had a spool of thread that was fuzzy. Are you sure your tensioner is not damaging the thread? Maybe I've just been lucky.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 09, 2021 06:51PM

Michael,
After building hundreds of guides using various colors and brands of thread, I have only encountered two spools of thread with fuzzies forming on the guide wrapped that I quickly cut off after throwing away the thread.

Best wishes.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 11, 2021 11:07AM

I haven't built that many rods, so haven't gone through that much thread. I've used Pro Wrap, Fuji, and Fish Hawk. Haven't had a problem with fuzzies, but I don't use a tension device. The thread comes straight from the spool, and I set the spool tension using rare earth magnets on the thread carriage.

Posted by: Tom Wood (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 15, 2021 07:29PM

New guy here, building my second surf rod. I want to set the reel seat for maximum casting distance. Some say it's best to measure from the arm pit, while extending your arm along the blank. Others advise to set the butt center of chest and extending the blank along the arm. Others advise a given 30 to 32 inch range. The seat is a 22mm Fuji, going on a 12'-8" Carolina Cast Pro, blank. Guides are Fuji KWs, 25 or 20, 16, 12, 10, two, 8s, and a size 8, 10 or 8 ring tip. In all 7 guides,

I would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions on my plans to get this set up right.

Many thanks

Woody

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2021 07:54PM by Tom Wood.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 19, 2021 12:27PM

start a new question you will get a better coverage on your problem I think

William Sidney
AK

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster