I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod handle extension
Posted by: Jim Alberts (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 06, 2021 08:38PM

While steelhead fishing yesterday with a 9 ft, 8 wt I was having trouble reaching water on the far side of the river. I have a bad shoulder and am basically a mediocre caster so this was not a new situation for me. This particular 8 wt has a short fighting butt so I was able to grasp it and use the rod as a "poor mans spey rod" I was pleased at the distance I could now achieve with less effort and it was far easier on my shoulder. I am sure I am not the first person to discover this but I have seen no articles/posts on any forum or in magazines. It seems to me that a short removable extension on the handle would be a great add on for this type casting, not to be used all the time but invaluable when needed. Does this make sense and if so can you purchase something like this or how would you make one? Thank for any ideas you may have

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod handle extension
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 06, 2021 09:13PM

There are removable fighting butts of different lengths. A custom builder could easily adapt one to just about any length. Makes a lot of sense.

When doing the original build a custom builder could extend the butt of the fly rod past the seat to just about any length by inserting a piece of blank into the original blank and building on that. For a non-removable extension.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: April 06, 2021 09:26PM

Jim,
The fact is that a two-handed rod does not out perform (distance) a singe-handed rod with a double haul until it exceeds 12'.
It sounds that you have to perfect your double haul - as well as changing your casting style if you are hurting your shoulder. You are probably lifting your arm too high and stressing your shoulder.
Study Henrik Mortenson's video. The single handed portion starts at the 2 minute mark.
Sorry - that link did not work - try this: [www.youtube.com]
Herb

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2021 11:42PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Date: April 07, 2021 09:39AM

Herb, I would be the first one to admit my double haul technique is sorely lacking but that is not the issue. My shoulder problem is pre existing and is there regardless of how I cast, I just find it easier and more efficient to roll cast and single hand spey cast as I swing flies or streamers, not to mention the inevitable stream side trees and brush ever lurking to gobble up my flies. I am not trying to get 80 feet of fly line out on every cast, I am just trying to cover as much water as I can as efficiently as I can and for me that seems to be with a little extra snap from my off hand on the butt of the rod. I don't think RIO would want to film me for their "how to" series but for me it works, so my original question is still germane; is there a way to fit a slight extension on the end of the reel seat and if so is it going to cause harmful stress on the rod?

Date: April 07, 2021 11:21AM

Jim,
I experimented a lot with 2 handed rods from 10'6" to 13'6".
I did extend the FB on a 10'0" #10 rod by 6" by utilizing REC's removable FB hardware. But that was when I was building it from scratch. The REC hardware is made to fit into REC reel seats.
I don't know how your rod was built - do you know if the FB is installed over the butt of the blank - or added on?
Is this a factory rod - or did you, or someone else built it? All this matters you are to get good info.
The bottom line - it can be done - but the method will be different depending how the rod was built.

Sounds like you were watching some of the OPST videos. Ed Ward extended the FB on his rod. Although on this video: [www.youtube.com] It looks like it was custom built. On other videos it looks home made. It might be easier justto install a NON-removable fighting butt of 3-4 inches.

Herb

Date: April 07, 2021 12:25PM

Thanks again Herb, the rod in question is a TFO 8 wt, one of the best 8 weights I have ever used regardless of price. I havent watched the video you referenced but I am going to do that right now. I think you are right the best solution probably would be to install a new longer FB on the rod. I have no qualms with that solution Im just not sure my rod building skill set is up to the task. Thank you

Date: April 07, 2021 01:05PM

Herb, I just watched the OPST video you suggested and that is exactly what I envisioned, looks like it might be 3-4 inches long and you are correct on this video it looks "factory installed" I need to find someone local to help me with it when I screw it up

Date: April 07, 2021 01:10PM

Jim,
See this: [js-outdoors.com]
I've got tons of old graphite that would probably fit into the butt of your rod as an extension to fit into the new FB.
If you want to attempt this - measure the I.D. of your blank's butt.
BUT - you will have to destroy your current FB. But all will be well if you can access your butt section. So much the better if it extends beyond the reel seat. If it does not - no big deal. You will just have to use a longer piece of graphite.
Herb

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2021 01:39PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Date: April 07, 2021 06:35PM

Herb,
That tutorial from outdoors.com explains it very well, I actually think even I could do this. Im going to try it, thanks for your help!!

Date: April 07, 2021 08:59PM

Jim,
If you need a bit of graphite blank to extend the support for the FB - give me a shout. I will mail you some. If you have a digital caliper - measure the I.D. of the butt opening.
Also - let me know if you need some cork and a rubberized cork butt cap.
Herb

Date: April 08, 2021 11:23AM

Thanks Herb, I think I have (or a fishing buddy of mine) has what I need but I will keep your offer in mind. You have been a great help!!!!

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 08, 2021 09:28PM

Atta boy, Herb! Neat that you're willing to go the extra yard to help.

Date: April 10, 2021 04:36PM

Just completed the extension on my 8 wt, used the video Herb referenced and I think it came out great. I was going to put a picture on here but apparently this site is not set up so you can attach pictures. Thanks again Herb, I will try and send you an email with an attachment

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster