I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Salt water fly components
Posted by: Mark D Schulte (---)
Date: April 03, 2021 06:23PM

More questions on the fly stuff today. I have a guy looking for an 8wt fly rod and he said he will be using it in salt water. What do I need to look for in the seat? Will a standard wood insert style be okay ? I was planning on REC titanium guides. Will there be any issues with cork?
Thanks
Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Salt water fly components
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 03, 2021 06:30PM

Cork and titanium guides are fine. Some wood seats will be okay - if they are stablized, etc. But I'd opt for any of the good nylon-graphite seats. They just work and work and work.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: April 03, 2021 09:40PM

As always - except regarding ceramic runners for fly rods :-)) - Tom is correct.

BTW - REC Recoil are a Nickel Titanium Alloy. Just as stain/corrosion free - but harder than pure Titanium.
Cork is great. I use REC RSLL aluminum seats for 8 weights. I like the way that they hold the reel foot. IMO - the fancier TruTrak RFTS do not hold the reel foot as well.
Yes - wood is good AS LONG AS STABILIZED. But you should be aware that there is stabilized and STABILIZED. IMO - the best stabilizing is done by Mike at [www.stabilizedwood.com].
The stuff I purchased on @#$%& was not nearly as good. Mike's wood buffs-up to a high shine and is more impervious to water.
If you're not going to turn your own wood - consider REC's stabilized wood inserts.
Herb
CTS

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 04, 2021 12:18PM

I like the aluminum Alps seat for 8 wts. Whatever you use it will look and function just fine if you rinse with fresh water after every use in salt. Only takes a minute and is very effective.

Posted by: Mark D Schulte (---)
Date: April 04, 2021 02:55PM

Gentlemen, as always. Thank you. I have a few possible stabilized inserts I've turned. I've never fished in salt so I wasn't sure. My customer probably knows but I just want to be certain

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 05, 2021 06:11AM

I second the Alps for saltwater.

[getbitoutdoors.com]

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 05, 2021 11:38AM

This is the one I meant. Pricey, but an awesome seat, functionally and in appearance. [getbitoutdoors.com]

Posted by: David Oaks (---.customerip.birch.net)
Date: April 06, 2021 10:10AM

I've used the Alps Centra Lock Fly reel seat on a few builds. It's a beautiful seat, but I found there was always a little play with my Tibor reel feet. The flat section on the Alps Triangle (Recessed or Standard) work much better on the larger saltwater reels with no play.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 07, 2021 08:47AM

I have used "fresh water" fly rods in salt water exclusively for over 20 years. I thoroughly rinse my fly rod - and reel, and line, and flies in fresh water - Immediately and Every Time after I use them in salt water. No problems.

Posted by: Ancelmo Fernandez (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: April 07, 2021 09:59AM

I personally like to use the 3KFS. I love the carbon it adds to the build and the black aluminum hoods are the way to go for me. [www.americantackle.us]

The other option that came to my mind is the AL8. That fly seat I would use on a heavier outfit utilizing larger reels. It defiantly has a classic look to them and wont put a dent in the wallet. [www.americantackle.us]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster