I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

U 40 Perma Gloss useful lifespan when opened
Posted by: Guy Washburn (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2021 10:39AM

I built a rod a couple of weeks ago that I finished with U 40 Perma Gloss. I really like the results and that it doesn't need to be spun like the 2 part finishes to avoid dripping.

I have another Rod ready to finish and given Perma Gloss's reputation for short shelf life, I picked up the previous jar to toss and noticed it was still quite liquid and not set up at all.

Should I use it or should I toss and start the next jar?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: U 40 Perma Gloss useful lifespan when opened
Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 03, 2021 11:15AM

To my knowledge, Perma Gloss will never actually "go bad" What happens is, it starts to cure after the bottle has been opened, but it only cures on the surface exposed to air. I have a 4 oz bottle of Perma Gloss that I have had for about 3 years. I've used it several times over that span, and it's still as good as it was the day I first opened the bottle. Even the very first bottle I ever bought 6 or so years ago was still good when I threw it out, but I threw it out because I couldn't get it out of the bottle, not because it had gone bad.

A tip I got from reading a thread on this site is what has made me able to still use the 4 oz bottle I referenced earlier. I can't remember which member posted the tip, but it was a good one.

Of course when you store it you want to make sure the cap is back on tight. And be sure to save the little foiled cardboard pad that is in the top of the bottle. That helps to insure a good seal. The real tip though is to store the bottle upside down. If the product does start to cure on the surface exposed to air, it won't block the still liquid product from coming out of the bottle. So simple, but so ingenious if you ask me. lol

Oh, and I also store my bottle in the refrigerator. Perma Gloss is a moisture curing urethane, so the higher the humidity, the faster it cures. Refrigerators remove humidity from the air, so I figure it's just a little extra insurance. In the 3 years I've had the current bottle it shows no signs of curing at all. It's all still 100% liquid. The bottle is a little more than half full.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2021 11:16AM by David Baylor.

Date: April 03, 2021 11:17AM

Cool. Thanks!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 03, 2021 11:18AM

Nope. As long as you keep water out, from the air, all is good. Lots of info on how to do that in the search function. I believe the formation has changed and it isn't as bad as it used to be.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 03, 2021 11:19AM

Use it. Permagloss can be stored for a long time if cared for properly. I put my container in an air tight jar that some some desiccant in it, and then keep in the refrigerator. It will last a long time like this. It is the humidity in the air that causes Permagloss to set. Cold air holds less water and the desiccant removes what is present. Some people pour the Permagloss into a small paint can, and put a small screw in the bottom which is loosened to remove the amount of Permagloss needed. I like the jar in the refrigerator better.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2021 11:21AM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: William Bauer (---.mdrsor.broadband.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: April 03, 2021 01:04PM

I use the refrigerator method too, but I also vacuum pack the bottle. It assures no air will work its way in.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 03, 2021 02:26PM

Guy ,
I have found that it lasts at least 10 minutes, sometimes up to a year.

It lasts longer if you put it in the freezer.

Take care

Date: April 03, 2021 03:27PM

Thanks for the helpful replies!

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 03, 2021 04:14PM

Like Norman, in the fridge, dessicant, in a small plastic bag, current bottle is fine after at least 3 years.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 03, 2021 05:12PM

If you're getting 3+ years out of a bottle, they have indeed improved the formula. Good to hear. If it's still liquid, it's still good.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 04, 2021 12:04PM

Does it still smell bad? They will never be rid of the fumes. U40 was going to come out with a new water soluable finish..they sent me a sample...i really liked it but hear nothing more about it..not as good as PG but nothing is..still more than good enough and gives you time to work with, very user friendly.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 04, 2021 12:22PM

The formula hasn’t changed just the bottle cap.
Norm

Posted by: John Sansevera (---.hsd1.ny.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2021 01:56PM

I just did a rod repair and used perma gloss for the first time, Holy cow waht a smell, the wife is still riding me about it

Fishing is not a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 04, 2021 07:43PM

Use a squirt of Bloxygen (argon gas) in the bottle each time and it will keep for Long Long Time!!!!!!!!!! [www.amazon.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster