I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spining
Posted by: Tore Nilsen (---.ti.telenor.net)
Date: November 26, 2001 10:44PM

This has probably been discussed here before, but I just discovered this site, so you'll have to excuse me.

I'm about to build a Sage XP 590-3. I sent an email to Sage asking abuot the positioning of the guides, and if they spine their rods. As you probably know, they do not. But I'm wondering what's common among other rod builders. Where do you all position the guides when building a flyrod and why?

Best,
Tore

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spining
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: November 27, 2001 09:58AM

You'll want to do a search on this using this board's archives for more info.

Many people still put their guides on the spine (outside of relaxed curve) thinking the rod tracks better on the forward cast and has a bit more power for fish fighting and line lifting. Some go opposite the spine for what they feel is a better feeling rod when fish fighting. Then there is the group that likes to position the rod and guides so that the stiffest axis is working against the fish (this one puts the spine who knows where since it varies so much).

None of these is wrong, they all work but give a slightly different feel and excel in different areas. I suggest you take an hour and try your guide set-up on the spine, opposite the spine, and on the stiffest axis and see which one you prefer.

And remember, rod twist when fish fighting is not a concern as your guides are on the bottom of the rod and provide perfect stability

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster