I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Double foot eyes
Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: April 02, 2021 11:47AM

I have noticed that all of the eyes I am using are fabricated so the tips of the feet both touch the blank but the rest of the length of the foot is slightly above the blank. Is this ok? If so, why?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Double foot eyes
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 02, 2021 12:20PM

No it's not okay. Part of the guide prep process for the rod builder is to bend the feet so that they sit flat upon the blank surface. I find it help to get them flat, and then carefully run them down and along a round chain saw file to smooth and debur the underside of the foot.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: April 02, 2021 12:34PM

What Tom said. Re the chain saw file. get 2-3 sizes.
Also get pliers that have nylon covered jaws to bend the larger guide feet. Get it in a beading store - or online under beading supplies.
Feet like you're describing will put too much pressure on the blank and may cause the blank to fail at the pressure point.
Herb
CTS

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.dhcp.bhn.net)
Date: April 02, 2021 12:51PM

It is not OK. It is important the guides fit flat on the blank, it eliminates unnecessary stress on the guide and the blank.

I check the guide feet for burrs, then set the guide on the blank to make sure the feet lie flat on the blank. If not I carefully bend the foot/feet with a needle nose pliers until the feet are in line and sets flat on the blank..

Then I dress the end of the guide foot so there is a gentle ramp for the thread rise up, after that I take emery paper wrap it around a dowel or mandrel to somewhat shape and clean the bottom of the guide feet. I then give the feet a final de-burring with 400 grit emery.

Most guides don,t need much fussing so prepping them is quick and easy.

Have fun

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 02, 2021 01:17PM

i can,t remember the last time i used a double foot guide ever since i started using the Forhan locking wraps with single footers.

Date: April 02, 2021 01:17PM

Thanks guys. That is what I thought. I have been bending them flat so far but started to doubt myself when all of them shared the same characteristic.

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: April 02, 2021 02:38PM

I've never found the need to use a file to get a guide foot to sit perfectly flat on the blank . I've used a file at the end of the foot on occasion to help the thread to climb up on the foot from the blank but not for getting the foot to sit flat on the blank as just bending the foot has worked for that.

Date: April 02, 2021 02:59PM

I think filing the top of a painted foot causes a few issues.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 02, 2021 03:44PM

The point of a chain saw file (constant diameter round) isn't to file the top of the feet for thread transfer. It is for filing the bottom of the feet for contour against the round blank.

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: April 02, 2021 04:08PM

I think everybody knows that , the file design makes it pretty obvious that it's for the bottom of the foot . A chain saw file is not the type of file you would use for any other type of grinding except the very bottom of a guide foot to fit the curvature of a blank.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 02, 2021 05:37PM

I never have that problem with Fuji guides. I always have that problem with another brand. I decided it was worth the extra price for me to not have to deal with it.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 04, 2021 07:45PM

Herb, i never heard of a chain saw file..what size is best for 5mm LAGs..thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster