I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
thread pull loop material?
Posted by: Tim Rogers (---)
Date: April 01, 2021 05:54PM

I know there has to be some good opinions out there on this but I didn't have much luck using the search. I am having a hard time pulling my tag ends through with out breaking them. I am new to building and am working on my 5th build. I usually use a piece of whatever thread I am wrapping and tie a small loop to use as a pull through. More times than not I break the tag end when attempting pull through. Admittingly I have a hard time placing this loop without it twisting but I break thread even when it don't twist. I know the one of the first thoughts is that I may be wrapping to tightly, and that maybe the case but I have been able to move/adjust the guides when I have been successful wrapping. I can move them enough to line up the guides but not sure a could move them any reasonable distance. Am I wrapping to tight? I have wrapped "less wraps" over the tag end but this often results in the thread "slipping, and unwinding". Generally I shoot for at least an 1/8'' of wraps over my loop. I have tried using a larger thread like size D as a pull loop when I am wrapping size A thread but the end result never seems snug. Should I consider one of those commercially available pull through loops, or maybe a piece of braid? If so is there a size/brand of braid that is good for size A thread? Any and all advise on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thread pull loop material?
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 01, 2021 05:58PM

I use 10 to 15 # braided line. Works great, very strong and thin. I use the yellow fluorescent stuff, easy to see.
Norm

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 01, 2021 06:29PM

I just pick up a scrap of D thread and use that. If you're breaking D thread, you're wraps are too tight or you're attempting to pull the tag end under way too many standing wraps.

Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: April 01, 2021 08:01PM

I don't know what you mean when you said you ," tie a small loop" in the thread. I just use a piece of thread and lay the natural loop that's form when I put both ends of the pull through thread together. There is no tying necessary. Maybe I am not understanding.

Date: April 01, 2021 08:50PM

Todd, I would take a piece of thread, double it over and tie an overhand knot in it. These seemed practical so I could stick a burnishing tool or anything to help pull. Like a t handle I guess. But I see how you could do the same without tying the knot. That would reduce the twisting I guess

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 01, 2021 09:11PM

I use the same lb. test as Norm with a Hi-Vis orange bead tied on the end.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 01, 2021 09:23PM

I always tie my braid into about a 3 to 4” loop using a surgeons knot. In my opinion, it just makes it easier to control and use. The high visibility braid make it easier to find the loop when you lay it down.
Norm

Posted by: Jack Duncan (---)
Date: April 01, 2021 09:28PM

I’ve used different size threads, copper wire, and tippet material. In recent years I’ve used dental floss because it is extremely strong and easy to work with. Stay away from floss that has “flavors” or are excessively waxy. I think they all have some wax but there are a few brands with a very slick finish but very little wax. Give your floss a fingernail test to make sure it doesn’t shed wax with friction.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.212.40.162.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 01, 2021 09:58PM

I've used 6lbs mono with a 2.5 or 3 inch loop for years. All the above work well.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 02, 2021 01:15AM

Mudhole sells an item called a Speedy thread puller, made for just what you are doing. From the Catalog illustration it appears to be colored mono. They used to have one made of carbon fiber, I bought some and have used one for well over a hundred rods.

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: April 02, 2021 06:18AM

I have noticed that some spools of thread are more susceptible to breaking than others, Haven't figured that one out yet but I'm betting that over tight wraps are a factor. The grey one hates me.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 02, 2021 09:54AM

As others use: I use 10 lb Power pro - yellow braided fishing line. I always put a high visibility bead at the knot to help find it when it gets dropped, and to also provide a pulling stop when using the pull loop.

The very thin power pro is many times stronger than wrapping thread and many times stronger. I have never ever had a pul loop made with Power pro break, or get stuck in a very tight wrap.

Yes, I wrap just as tight as I can wrap, and still be able to barely move the guide rotation for its final position.

Best wishes

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 02, 2021 09:54AM

I use flat UNWAXED dental floss.

Date: April 02, 2021 09:56AM

Phil,
I once used unwaxed dental floss and found that now and then, particles of the floss would be left behind.

But with Power Pro braided fishing line - no such issue.

Best wishes

Posted by: Darwin Wong (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: April 02, 2021 11:41AM

Use old braided line as once i used the new lime green powerpro and it left some nice marks on my light coloured thread :)

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 02, 2021 11:47AM

If you send me your address I will send you some real thin pull thread [ fish line brad ] it is 3 lb teat an I have more than what I will use in a life time , also a couple of pointer that work for me

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---)
Date: April 02, 2021 05:20PM

I use size 8 gel=spun fly tying thread, and only wrap 8t wraps over the thread. I generally use Uni brand thread in a highly visible color. I also tie a square knot on the thread ends to make a continuous loop. Make sure your loop is large enough to easily thread the wrapping thread thou, and cut the wreaking thread so that when you pull it through, it goes half way to the exit point of the pull string. This completely hides the wrapping thread, and eliminates the need for further trimming.

Tight lines and frisky fish.

RJF

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 02, 2021 05:39PM

I pull the tags all the way through..they can be used to tighten the last few wraps after putting on the CP..everything dries up tight then cut off tags..dry CP makes cutting tags clean..if there,s any bump, just burnish and apply a second coat of CP, which i,m going to do anyway.

Date: April 04, 2021 09:53PM

Thanks for all the input. I have tried a few of the recommendations already with improved results. It is clear to me know that I having been wrapping way to tight.

Date: April 05, 2021 01:25PM

Tim,
I doubt that you have been wrapping way too tight.

As long as you can just barely rotate a guide with two fingers - you are not wrapping too tight.

I wrap very tight and have been very happy with the results for all of these years. I wrap them tight enough to just barely be able to rotate the guides a bit for their final alignment. Typically, I can't slide the guides up and down the rod at all after wrapping before any coating are on the wraps.

Best wishes

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster