I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

LW-PX400 printer
Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.247.206.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 31, 2021 07:21AM

I have seen many people post regarding the LW-PX400 printer for labels. From what I have seen, its a really good one for labels. I attempted to use the p-touch label maker but the tapes were stiff and tough to use. Are the tapes for the LW-PX400 less stiff than the p-touch labels? I have also read that the printer comes with software which allows you to print more than just words. Anyone print other things than just words with this printer?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LW-PX400 printer
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 31, 2021 11:52AM

I have the Brother P-Touch Desktop Label Printer (PT-P700). The labels are a little stiff but you can use any font and even insert JPG files on them, so you can make a really custom logo. There are a few tricks to making them look right and application. I have only found white letters on clear background making it very limited as far as color goes. Not sure on the PX 400.

Posted by: Daniel Grundvig (---)
Date: March 31, 2021 12:09PM

I have the LW-PX800 label printer and from looking at the ads for the 400, it appears both printers take the same label cartridges. Yes, the labels are fairly thick (compared to most rod manufacturer's labels) and at times can be a challenge. Frequently, even after cleaning the blank, burnishing the label, and coating the label with Chromaseal, the edges of the label start to lift after applying the epoxy. This is particularly a problem on skinny blanks. Also, the label's paper backing is split horizontally into two parts which aids in removing the backing but after applying on some backgrounds (e.g. dark painted rods) you can see a faint residual line where the two pieces of backing touched. All that being said, I really like the label maker and the quality of the labels. Being able to import jpegs of fish images/different fonts and print them at 360 dpi is impressive. I purchased my label maker from LRTGROUP.com- Larry was extremely helpful with tips and advice. BTW from the looks of labels I receive with RodGeeks blanks, they appear to be identical to those used in the Epson label printers.

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.247.206.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 31, 2021 01:47PM

The lifting of the labels seems to be an issue no matter what label maker you use. I am currently using water transfer decals from my ink jet printer. They work great, however, the colors dont seem to pop as much as I would like. It seems there are pluses and minuses to both types.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 31, 2021 05:59PM

There is an excellent label supplier on this site (Decal Connection) that supplies label made for rods! If you factor in the hardware, software and supplies cost of doing them yourself, your cost are probably much higher than purchasing them, and they work!

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 31, 2021 06:19PM

One aspect of label making and printing that most builders don't consider is that not all printing technologies are stable in sunlight. When considering printing your own, what do you know about UV/sunlight stability? I know that I have not found an inkjet that will print colors that will be color-true for very long.

But the commercial technology of companies like Decal Connection holds up very well for a very long time.

One thing to consider is to design and have Decal Connection print for you a standard "logo" decal that identifies your product clearly, then write, in your not-so-perfect but valued because you did it handwriting the other info you want on the blank.

The peel and stick labels of Decal Connection work on any diameter blank, even the smallest. (other than possibly ice rods-I'm not sure of them, but they don't have room enough for any significant info anyway).

Posted by: Bert Dluhy (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 01, 2021 06:55PM

Larry Tobin at LRT Group is one great reason to buy this printer
He is very responsive and helpful with specific help not just about the printer and software but specifically in the rod building application
I have the Pearlabel360 (I believe the model before the printer you mention) and love it.
Graphics is a true benefit over the p-touch
I agree with D Grundvig about Rod Geeks factory labels

Posted by: Charles C Cassell (---)
Date: April 09, 2021 11:36PM

I have the LW-PX400 and have been very happy with the results so far. While I have not had any issues with the corners peeling as noted by Daniel, I do agree with the presence of the faint horizontal line when putting down the clear background labels. The labels with black background do not have this problem as the backing is a solid piece like most other brands. Because of this, I have leaned toward the black background on most of my recent builds.

Larry's reputation is also solid. He is willing to help with any support you may need after you buy the device. That is a perk for sure.

One down side is that the printer only produces a single color label (silver on clear, gold on black, etc.). If you want a multi-color label for your build, Decal Connection is definitely the way to go.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster