I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

G. Loomis IMX MH Spin replacement / alternative blank?
Posted by: Scot Abel (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 30, 2021 11:38PM

One of the first rods I built 25 years ago was a MH IMX 6'-6" spinning rod that I made for my father. He used that rod every weekend May-Oct catching Wisconsin walleye on lead jig n' a minnow. He last summer he snapped the tip about 6" down. He wants me to splice it. I'm not in to spliced graphite. I would prefer to build him a new custom rod to that same specs. Based on some rough notes from many years ago and some measurements, here is what I have

6-6"
MH
10-17lb line
1/4 - 3/4 oz lures
4.5 tip
.54 butt
1.65 oz

There are a couple MHX Elites in mudhole that come close to these specs. I don't know if the feel of the rods will be be similar. This rod was 6'-6" extension of my fathers right arm for thousands of fish for the last 25 years. No matter what I make, I know that he will know they are not the same, but looking to come close. What are your thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: G. Loomis IMX MH Spin replacement / alternative blank?
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2021 02:26AM

What action would you call the rod? Being a walleye jig rod I would assume you built on a fast or extra fast blank. I have been very happy with all my recent builds on various rainshadow blanks. Only minor complaint is the Rainshowdows seem to run a little heavier than specs. So don't hesitate to use a blank a bit under what your specs were. Also in my opinion as a fellow Wisconsin walleye angler you can definitely step things down a bit. Never seen a need for more than a medium action rod for walleyes except for maybe early spring river fishing high water and having to use extremely heavy jigs to keep on bottom. Even then I would never use a true med heavy I would want a medium heavy that runs to the med side. Anyways here a few models I would look at.

IMMWS68MXF, 6'8", 6-14lb. 3/16-1/2oz, 0.457, 4.5, XF, M, 1.7oz. Be my first Choice. This is the premium line of rainshadow blanks like the IMX was to G loomis. With advances of the past 25 years probable a better blank than the IMX was

REVS62M, 6'2", 1, 8-14lb. 1/4-5/8oz. 0.433, 5.0, F, M, 1.6oz Four inches don't make much difference. But I like a longer rod. Step down so similar to GL3 line of G loomis. Again we have come a long way in 25 years.

SB782 6'6" 8-14lb. 1/4-5/8oz. 0.495 4.5 F M 2.3oz. Second choice

SB783 6'6" 10-17lb. 5/16-3/4oz. 0.570 5.0 F MH 2.2oz. Third choice. Heavier than I would like or think is needed Chance it will be a bit heavier than these specs.

SB822.5 6'10" 6-14lb. 1/8-5/8oz. 0.560 5.0 XF M 1.9oz. Tie for first choice. I like a longer rod.

All the SB are of RX6 line. Be similar to the G Loomis Gl2 from your blanks time period. Again time has allowed for some vast improvements. I have been extremely impressed by the RX6 line. Unbelievable value quality and durability.

Feel is very subjective. My opinion will be different than yours. That said MHX blanks to me seem a bit slower or softer than they are rated. Power seems about spot on. Rainshadow blanks seem to be spot on or maybe a bit crisper or faster than rated. As mentioned they do seem to run a bit more power than rated. I am not a a huge builder but I have built at least a half dozen rods on MHX blanks and rainshadow. All have been spinning in they ultralight to med heavy range. I have felt the same, more or less,about most every blank.

Posted by: Harry Glenn (---)
Date: March 31, 2021 09:16AM

NFC MB665-1. (IM)Very close to what you want. It is listed in their Classic section which are all remakes of some original loomis blanks.. still on sale today for $70

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2021 05:05PM by Harry Glenn.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 31, 2021 10:12AM

I have read your requirements and suggest the following:

I much prefer the Rain Shadow - Eternity blanks. These are very sensitive quality blanks.

[www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

In particular, I would suggest the:

IMMWS68MXF Titanium Chrome 6'8" 1 6-14lb. 3/16-1/2oz 0.457 4.5 XF M 1.7oz. Vertical Jigging/Crankbaits/All Purpose

I just reread Michael's comment and yes, my recommendation is the same as his.

In addition, it is great to have a rigging rod that is a bit lighter than the one listed above. Consider this blank for a rigging rod:

IMMWS72ML Titanium Chrome 7'2" 1 6-12lb. 1/8-3/8oz. 0.468 4 F ML 1.7oz. Riggin' rod/Slip bobbers/Light jigs

Again, all Batson - Rain Shadow blanks.

Good luck

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2021 03:08PM

The NFC would be nice as well at the sale price. However if you go that route I would call to order and see if it's in stock and when it will ship. I assume you want the rod done before our May 1 opener.

Posted by: Harry Glenn (---)
Date: March 31, 2021 05:08PM

my last order of multiple blanks from NFC shipped within 2 weeks.
another friend had an order for 7 blanks shipped before mine.. things have improved quite a bit.. sale ends tonight

Date: April 01, 2021 10:16PM

Thanks guys. I just got back into building rods after many years of doing sporadic projects. I knew this group would be perfect for getting updated on blank ideas. Most of my rods, being from WI, had been St Croixs. Well, that has changed and I am not sure I will be buying Rodgeek blanks. If I can no longer support a local business, I will not be biased.

I was not aware the Loomis had a startup (told you I had bee awol for a while). I am very eager to check out North Forks products. Rainshadow too. I will be calling NFC to see if I can get set up with something as close to my dad's original as possible. I am not sure it is what I would build myself, but this was like a part of his body for almost 30 years. I would like to recreate that if NFC has something near identical. If my post stays up, I will give an update after I make a decision and receive what I order.

Thanks gentlemen!!

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 01, 2021 11:55PM

The NFC MB665-1 IM, might be the blank you are looking for. It’s on sale at 65% off.
[northforkcomposites.com]
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2021 11:56PM by Norman Miller.

Date: May 31, 2021 12:36AM

Hello,

After spending a long time researching blanks, not having kept up with trends and manufacturers for many years, I have decided to go with a Rainshadow Immortal blank. It will be diffferent than the one my father broke. I broke down and just asked him what he liked. His tastes have changed. I am going with this one: IMMS68MLTC 6'8'' F ML 1 10 - 17. 1/8 - 3/8. 4.5 0.45. Several weeks ago I spent several hours on the phone trying to connect with NFC to no avail. I am still partial to US made blanks but decided if I couldnt speak to someone, why bother.

I am going to post a new message about the latest and greatest guide systems. Last I knew, Fuji New Concept in Alconite was the way to go. I am not sure if this is still the way to go. THanks for everyone's input.

Scot in WI

Date: July 27, 2021 05:50PM

In the event that anyone is following my old message. I finished up this rod with Fuji K-R guides, split grip (still not settled on these) and dressed it up with simple gunmetal gray wraps trimmed in rusty red metallic that I also used for a gray and rusty red chevron. Gave it to my pops yesterday and couldn't believe how excited he was. Just beside himself. Going to fish northern WI this weekend with him. Told him what I wanted in return was to watch him catch a fish with it.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, all of which played an important role in helping guide my thinking, planning and building. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed building these silly things.

Scot

Life began in water, 3/4 of our body is made it, 3/4 of the world is covered in it. It only follows logic that we should spend 3/4 of our time on it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster