I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Single foot guides for Euro Nymph rod
Posted by: Marc Pucel (32.211.132.---)
Date: March 30, 2021 08:13PM

Hi all,

I have a new fly rod build in the works and I'm looking for a little input on guide selection.

I purchased a CTS Affinity X 11' #3/2 nymphing blank and I'm looking to use Silicon Nitride single foot guides instead of traditional snake guides or wire single foot guides.

These guides are the very small "micro" type guides which I think should work well with the small diameter euro-nymph lines, and will require minimal wrapping weight.

Have any of you tried these guides for this use, and if so, how well did they work out for you?

Thanks, Marc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2021 09:22PM by Marc Pucel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Single foot guides for Euro Nymph rod
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: March 30, 2021 09:44PM

I'm not a fan of "ringed" guides on any fly rods. And certainly not on a rod built for nymphing. I would use the REC Nickel- Titanium alloy single foot or snake guides.
Herb
CTS U.S. Rep

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.ipv6.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: March 31, 2021 01:51AM

It work fine if you only use euro Nymph Line or only nylon.
Use Torzite guide to keep weight down ( T KTTG4 is a good choice).

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 31, 2021 10:12AM

A major advantage of snake guides on fly rods is the larger effective guide opening of a snake guide, presumably allowing larger twists and slip-knots to pass through the guide train. I suspect one is considerably more likely to be struck by lightening than to have his snake guides grooved by a fly line.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: March 31, 2021 02:39PM

Grooving might occur if one nymphed for 8 hours per day for the next 32 years. But at that angling pace one's shoulder and rotator cuff probably would be non-functional after the initial 3 years.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 31, 2021 02:59PM

Remember the sizing you are seeing is the ceramic rings outside diameter, not the size the line will actually have to pass through with your leader knots. For instance a 4 mm guide would be 2 mm and change inside.

Posted by: Marc Pucel (32.211.132.---)
Date: March 31, 2021 09:52PM

Good comments and food for thought.

I suspect that I will probably just use light-wire snake guides (at least in the upper sections) as I have in the past!

Thanks

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.ipv6.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: April 01, 2021 02:16AM

I use Alps single foot Light wire in the smallest size (1) if this can help.

Posted by: Mark Schleinitz (---.lifespan.org)
Date: April 01, 2021 08:40AM

I have regularly used ceramic single foot guides for larger sized rods (6wt and up), but do wonder if that might be a bit of overkill for a 2-3 weight.

That said, I just built a 9wt using the Pac Bay Minima guides, which are just that....minima....and am planning to use a smaller size of those on a 3wt blank that I have. consider them a middle ground between the wire single foots, and typical ceramic guides

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: April 01, 2021 09:28AM

When using light wire snake guides on a fly rod I suggest you use a few Forhan wraps around each guide leg before applying epoxy. Even a slight blow parallel to the rod which strikes one leg of a light wire snake guide can cause the guide leg to flex and "back out" from under the thread wraps - making it necessary to re-wrap and re-finish the guide leg. It happened to me. A single-foot guide is even more vulnerable to slipping out from under its single wrapping.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2021 09:31AM by Phil Ewanicki.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 02, 2021 01:11PM

The Snake brand guides are one of the best if not the best , one of the reasons is the foot / feet have been bent to fit the radius of the road one type of there guides are flat for the BAMBOO blanks , so make sure
what you order , PS very little prep "" if any"" on SNAKE BRAND GUIDES , as I see it ,

William Sidney
AK

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster