I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

7' rod vs 71/2' rod...Same reduction train?
Posted by: Ernie Blum (---)
Date: March 28, 2021 09:46AM

I am going to order the guides for my 7' NFC 703, and am going to use the 20H-10h-5.5M reduction train. I am also going to order the parts for an NFC MB 765 7'6" blank that is a tad stiffer. Although I will usually be in the 12-15 pound braid range, if i DID go as high as 20#, could I still use the 20-10-5.5 scheme? My reels vary from 2500s to 4000s. I will be using #5 runners on the 703. Is this also a good choice for the 765 in the 12-20# braid range?

Also...the tips of both blanks measure 2mm. I am going to use Fuji LG tip tops, also #5s, but I am a little unsure of the tube size I should order. The closest ranges for a 2mm tip would be tube sizes 2.2, 2.4 or 2.6mm. How much room should one leave when deciding what size tube to use on a given diameter blank tip?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 7' rod vs 71/2' rod...Same reduction train?
Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: March 28, 2021 01:50PM

Personally, I like my tips tops to fit...not be sloppy. They should slip on the rod tip easily but not sloppy with a lot of spare room. I just sliver off some tip top glue, put the slivers in the tube, heat til the glue bubbles and then push and hold the tip top. Never lost a top yet. I would go with the 2.2mm if your rod tip measures 2mm. I almost always buy a tip top above and below the rod tip size. That way I'm covered. Hope that helps some. I have built on NFC blanks and really like them.

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: March 28, 2021 03:02PM

My latest surf rod build uses a KL25H , KL12H ( Sometimes I skip the 12H and go with a KL10H) and a 5.5M to a KB5 choker and 5 size running guides and my reel has a much much much larger spool diameter than the 2500- 4000 size reels so the sizing you chose for braid up to 20 pounds will work fine. Rod length rarely changes the reduction guide train usually just the running guide #'s .

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 28, 2021 04:06PM

If you are using the same size reel on both rods, then everything will be identical in terms of guides except the longer rod may take one or two more running guides.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 28, 2021 04:32PM

Ernie, I just measured my Xray SJ703-1. It has a size 4 (4/64) tip. That is what NFC claims too. They list the Xray MB765-1 (NEO) as having a size 6 (6/64) tip.

Basically yes, the same guide train will work fine for both blanks. Use the KLH20, KLH10, KL5.5M, one or two KB5's per blank, and finish out with KT5's. Count on a total of 8 guides plus tip for the 703 and 9 plus tip for the 765.

Just to gain experience and a feel for the difference you could go KLH25, KLH12, KL5.5M on the 765 (the rest would be the same).

You might want to pick up a stick of guide foot adhesive. The KT5 guides are pretty small. You aren't going to be able to tape them in place while you wrap them. The foot is too short.

P.S. Please let me know how the first battle with a legal keeper sized snook goes. I look at mine and wonder if we have the same blank.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Ernie Blum (---)
Date: March 28, 2021 05:01PM

Thank you guys for the tips.

Russ....I just went back and measured the tips of both those blanks, and both are 2mm dead on. I guess that's why one should measure them, instead of relying on what they tell you! To be honest with you, the blanks are essentially unmarked. What I asked for and what they sent me could be totally different animals. By the way, does NFC make descriptive decals we can put on those blanks...ie...blank, line weights, lure weights... action? I see references to them, but I can't get the company to respond to me so I could ask.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 28, 2021 05:29PM

Ernie, on the butt end of the rod there should be a paper label wrapped on with scotch tape. I already removed the one on my 703. Looks like the SJ732 is labeled as 882, SJ736 as 881, and the MB7109 as 857. These are all Xray blanks.

Yes, they should have included decals. Some have reported better luck using the phone (as opposed to email).

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: March 28, 2021 05:49PM

Ernie,
As long as you are using braided 20lb, the KL20-H set will be fine even though the size 4000 reel is starting to get big. To achieve consistent, progressive guide spacing throughout the rod, the reduction guide spacing will probably be a tad wider or shorter depending on if you use one more runner or the same number as with the 7ft rod.
As for the tip top, I agree with Todd on all counts. If the tube fits too snugly without a bit of a gap, say <.010in, it will interfere with the tip top adhesive making 100% contact between the tip and blank; gotta have some space for the adhesive to flow and fill. If you do not have the blank in front of you to measure the tip but are purchasing the blank and components together from the same supplier, simply ask them to size the tip top for you; any reputable supplier will gladly do so.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 29, 2021 08:08PM

Your guide train will work fine on both blanks. You also can use tape on the KT 5 and 4 mm size guides, I do it all the time. You just have to cut the tape in thin strips and you will have about half the foot exposed. Once you wrap up to the tape, remove it, the guide has enough wraps to hold it in place till you get the rest wrapped. On a 7 foot rod I use 9 guides and a tip top and for a 7.5' I will use 10 to 11 with that same guide train you are wanting to use. I use 30lbs braid with no issues. It has the diameter of 10lbs mono. I built a 7'6" Point Blank with 10 guides and a tip top with Ti Seaguide High framed with silicon nitride RS rings 20mm, 10mm, 5.5mm and the rest 4mm with a 4.5mm tip top. I am using a Daiwa Saltist 3000 with 30# J Braid. Hooked a huge fish that spooled me and it handled it for 30+ minutes before the line broke off the spool.

[www.facebook.com]

[www.facebook.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster