I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for small disposable finish brushes?
Posted by: Marc Pucel (32.211.132.---)
Date: March 25, 2021 08:34AM

I used to use the small disposable finish brushes that Cabela's offered years ago until my supply ran out, and have been looking for replacements with no great luck ever since.
I like the finer control that these brushes afford me when doing small flyrod wraps.

To those who might have been searching too, I have found what I consider to be an even better brush on Esty. Some of you may have already made this same discovery.

But...for those who haven't...

On Esty, look for "mini paint brushes" or "mini cookie PYO brushes". I bought 60 brushes for $6.95

These brushes are used for decorating cookies, and have finer bristles than any other disposable brush I have used. They also have the right stiffness too.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for small disposable finish brushes?
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 25, 2021 09:07AM

Marc,
For many years I have been purchasing disposable brushes that are perfect from Craft stores and Big Box stores in the children's coloring section.

For example:

[www.walmart.com]

These are 144 brushes for $17.50. 5 years ago, the same brushes were 144 brushes for $8.50 - seems like inflation.

The price of these brushes come out to 12 cents each.
But they have nylon bristles that normally do not come out. They do a nice job of finish application and with the right finish get perfect finish application.

Because of the price, I use one brush for each time that I mix a batch of finish. So, If you mix 5 batches of finish - I use 5 brushes. i.e. 60 cents in brushes to apply one coat of finish to 5 rods, or 5 coats of finish to one rod.

No cleaning of brushes - ever. No thinner, No brush cleaning chemicals, No cleaning smell in the shop.
Whenever I use one brush in a plastic cut for a single use on a rod or rods - I lay the brush across the top of the mixing cup, so that I can test the finish cure in the cup for the rod that I am working on - without touching the blank and possibly put a mark on a drying rod.
When the finish has cured, the plastic cup and mixing brush are pitched and we move on.

For the mixing cups, I go to the grocery store and pick up the 2 oz plastic cups used for serving food samples in the grocery store. I think that they are something like $3 for 100 cups.

Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: March 25, 2021 09:43AM

Roger, the link of the picture of brushes you sent looks very similar to the flex coat brushes. I would for sure use those if there are no problems with chemicals such as silicone or other that would mess up the finish. Have you ever had an issue with your finishes while using these brushes? Thanks.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 25, 2021 03:05PM

Todd,
In a word, I have used these brushes to apply finish to hundreds of rods and have never had an issue. I can't recall more than one or two bristles shed in all of those different builds. In a word - they work.

Date: March 25, 2021 05:28PM

Thanks for the replies.

The specific reason I ordered these "mini" brushes is that I've always preferred their small size (3.5") to the normal "Flex Coat" brushes (6.5") when working finish around small wraps.

I also like that their fibers are both finer and a little bit denser, and splay well when working the finish.

The fact that I can toss 'em when I'm done is a bonus!

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: March 25, 2021 05:54PM

Marc,
I purchase my disposable brushes from Walmart; I find them in the childrens art department. They cost $1.14 for a pack of 30 brushes = less than 4 cents apiece! They are similar to the Flexcoat brushes but 10-20% fewer bristles and a tad longer which I actually prefer, even when coating saltwater wraps. The smaller size is very nice for doing delicate work. I have never experienced a bristle pull-out nor contamination issues.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.paw.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: March 25, 2021 07:12PM

Marc
I was / am a fan of the small Cabela's brushes too. I have looked everywhere for the same brush with no luck. Fortunately I was able to "load up" on them before Cabela's got out of the rodbuilding supplies business. I am now down to about 50 or 60 left, and would buy more if I could find the exact same brush !
Rog

Date: March 25, 2021 07:41PM

Hey Rog,

I'm with you on this one. I kinda wish I saw that coming too!

The very reason I liked the Cabela brushes were mostly for their overall length, which is essentially the same size (3.5") as the ones I mentioned.

They just feel a little more precise to me when doing the small stuff...

I would often find myself cutting the shank on the Flex-Coat 1/8" brushes to try to duplicate the feel.

I still have about 100 of the 1/8" purple (and 1/4") Flex-Coat brushes that I use on the larger wraps at times.

When you run out of your Cabela's stock, give the "mini cookie" brushes a go.

I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Best, Marc

Posted by: Levi Bakker (170.103.12.---)
Date: March 27, 2021 02:07AM

I recently bought some of these.

Paint Brushes Set 40 Pcs, Bulk Nylon Flat Hair Small Brush Acrylic Oil Watercolor Paint Artist Painting Kits for Children [www.amazon.com]

Cheap enough to be disposable, really fine bristles - on par with the “Takalon” brushes, and finer than the flex coat style disposables.

Posted by: Tim Shaffer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2021 10:19AM

I also use the ones from Walmart. Cheap and they work great.

Date: March 30, 2021 06:45PM

Levi,

I just ordered up and received some of the brushes that you mentioned. I like them.

They have a bit more stiffness than most that I've used and have the fine fibers I like.

As a 1/4" brush, I can see using these on larger wraps and especially fancy butt wraps where i might need to "push" some finish into the wrap.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster