I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Critique my plans
Posted by: Adam Maxwell (---.sbr2.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: March 25, 2021 05:36AM

Hi everyone.

I'm about to venture into my first attempt at rod building and I have some questions and would appreciate your input.
Please feel free to poke holes in any of my ideas.

I'm based in Australia, so some of the terminology and fish species may be unfamiliar to people here (apologies).
I want to make a rod that will primarily be used to target sea bream and tailor (bluefish?) from high rock shelves where the fish will be lifted across rocks, sometimes vertically. These fish typically weight less than 1kg although you can get some heavy tailor over 2kg (but this is not the norm)
The rod will be paired with overhead AbuGarcia's that range from 5000 to 6500
The rod will be casting baits (total weight of sinker + hooks + bait ranges between 15 - 100g).
The line used will range from 15 to 25lb mono. Yes this is heavy but we are constantly dragging the line across rocks.
The rod needs to be between 11 to 12 foot, this is required to give adequate reach over obstacles and maintain distance from cliff edges.
In the past this type of rod was very common in Australia, but they are now impossible to find as this style of fishing has gone out of fashion.

The rods we used were fibreglass and ranged from a 4 to 6 wrap, I'm not sure of the exact number of wraps, but it was towards the lower end for bream fishing.
Because they were fibreglass the action was typically not as fast as the modern day graphite rods.

So here's my plan with some questions.

Rod
====
I want the rod to flex somewhat when fighting the fish but not bend so much as to make the length useless for clearing obstacles and for directing the fish from up high.
I like the ruggedness and the bend of the old fibreglass rods but am willing to look at other technologies.

So far I'm looking at the following blanks. If you have other ideas let me know.

MT6144-2 from [www.therodworks.com.au]

ST1355-MHX from [www.therodworks.com.au]

TRW 4120G [www.therodworks.com.au]
This one can be extended but I was already advised against it as the extension stiffens it up considerably.

Grip
====
Standard EVA but I have some plans to shape it uniquely.
I was thinking of putting that heat shrink over the top of the EVA but I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

Guides
=======
I'm looking at double footed SSR guides (full stainless steel with no ring insert).
[www.mudhole.com]
Why?
Because if there's one thing I constantly do to guides with ring inserts is accidentally bang them on the rocks resulting in either the ring fracturing or coming out of its housing.
A solid piece of stainless shouldn't do that right?
The problem is they only make them for rods up to 9.5 foot so I'm not sure if I'll needs one larger than size 12.
ps. I'll be doing both and under and over wrap.

Seat
====
Fuji Deluxe with the padded metal hoods
Hopefully I can find one without a pistol grip.
Maybe I just use a spinning seat set upside down?

Keen to get input,
Thanks.
Adam

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Critique my plans
Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 25, 2021 10:01AM

I can't comment on the blank, someone else can chime in.But with a blank as stout as you describe extending a blank should not cause issues.

For guides I would look at Mudhole CRB SSR Double Foot Spin Guide - Model DFXG, SKU DFXG or the Pac Bay Minina guides SKU TVM. Both have stainless steel swaged rings.and will take abuse.

Reel seat look at Fuji DPSD

I prefer a composite fore grip with a cork rear grip I also like a composite front and rear grip. Composite grips are almost indestructible..

Just some thoughts.

Good luck and Have Fun

John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2021 10:02AM by John DeMartini.

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---)
Date: March 26, 2021 02:51AM

A hundred people will give you a hundred variations. For your rod blank, Check with CTS out of New Zealand. They make some of the best blanks in the business, both in carbon fiber, and fiberglass. You also have other options for guides as well. Recoil guides are nearly indestructible, made of titanium, and if you step on one, it's like a spring, and comes back to its original shape. As far as handles go, that's really a personal matter. Epic blanks are another great option, and have graphene added\ to the blank, which they say, makes their blanks stronger, lighter, and more sensitive.

Another top brand of very tough guides, without inserts, is the American Tackle, Microwave Air guides. There Are many who swear by them.

What I like about CTS, is that they make some blanks for everything from surf casting, to dry fly fishing, to deep water trolling, and everything in between. They can even tailor a special blank to your needs, and can advise you on what you need for the type of fishing you want to do. You can contact them by phone as well. I have, and I live in the U.S. I am very pleased with my purchase from them.

Mudhole has a great variety of handles, as does Anger's workshop, and other places. Just go on line and do a google-search for fishing rod seats, and handles. Yu will find all kinds of options.

Tight lines and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: Adam Maxwell (---.sbr2.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: March 26, 2021 03:13AM

Thanks John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster