I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Model and Sizes for RCBJ 84H
Posted by: Adrian Garcia (---)
Date: March 24, 2021 11:54PM

Hello everyone,

Im a first time builder with a couple questions, hopefully this community will be able to answer.
Blank is a Rainshadow RCJB 84H, and it is being paired with a Penn Pathom 25N with 65# braid. It is mostly going to be used for bottom fishing(rockfish, lingcod), and yo yo's.

Does the line rating on ALPS guides relate to mono or braid??? I'm asking because Im conflicted on which guide model to use. Ideally I would like to use MXN lowriders, but I'm concerned the line rating may be to low for 65# braid.

Also I am looking for suggestions on what guide train to follow. I was planning on doing 20-16-12-12-10-10-10-10 and im not sure about the tip top. I read Batsons new guide blueprints but I would like the suggestion of this community

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Model and Sizes for RCBJ 84H
Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: March 27, 2021 12:52PM

I wouldn't worry so much about the breaking strength of the lone you are using. You mentioned using #65 braid so are you fishing #65 of drag? I doubt it. I would just base my choice closer to the my drag settings.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 28, 2021 01:44AM

No one can build your rod like you can, when they make the build sheet they go with what works under many combinations. They don't know what reel, line, top shots, or knots your going to use. There is a lot of leeway built into that selection. My Ling cod rod was built long before braid, uses the same guides as my salmon rods of that time and worked just fine with braid since 1994.

Posted by: Danny Smith (---)
Date: March 28, 2021 02:40PM

I am sure there are many guides that would serve the purpose of this rod. It doesn't sound like you will be casting it much. I think that reel has a 20 pound drag. I would consider a light to medium duty boat rod guide. I have used them on a few saltwater rods and like them. Please feel free to criticize my response if I am off-base as I am a novice builder. I like these: [www.mudhole.com]

Fishing is not a sport, it is an art.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---)
Date: March 28, 2021 05:36PM

Danny, I would not use those guides for anything less than 60# and pulling hard. More like 80#. There are better choices available anymore. With that said, if you like them, by all means, use them and be happy. :-) That's what custom building is all about.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 29, 2021 06:06PM

Danny, take a look at the Fuji "MN" series. They are a long time mainstay for saltwater builds.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster