I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Matte silver winding check search
Posted by: Marc Pucel (32.211.132.---)
Date: March 24, 2021 08:56PM

Hi all,

I'm looking to find a 7mm ID Matte silver aluminum winding check to match a reelseat. on a new build.

I've searched all of the suppliers that I can think of.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Matte silver winding check search
Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: March 24, 2021 09:35PM

A local machine shop.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 24, 2021 10:22PM

Could you have an existing check bead blasted?

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2021 04:23AM

Mudhole offers them in 8mm. A wrap or two of tape or thread would bring you right to where you need. I build lots of UL rods with aluminum checks. Probable 90 percent use a larger check with a tape bushing and the gap filled with epoxy, works fine never notice it unless it is pointed out.. Only suggestion is to dye your epoxy black if it is not clear.

Date: March 25, 2021 08:10AM

Several great ideas. Thanks.

I contacted Mudhole, and while they used to offer down to 6.5mm, they no longer do. I am seriously considering just upsizing to 8mm as suggested.

That said, I have a blaster, so I might also try giving an existing check a little high pressure grit love too!

I appreciate the feedback.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 25, 2021 09:13AM

Marc,
A very nice finish is a brushed aluminum finish.
I do this all the time with a wire wheel on a grinder.

In this case, place the aluminum winding check on a tapered stick. Old paint brush handles work well for this. i.e. artists paint brush handles - not house paint brush handles . Use a wire wheel with a softer wire on the wheel.

Hold the paint brush handle with the winding check on it and engage the spinning wire wheel taking care to only appply very light pressure. It also helps if you chuck the paint brush handle in a cordless 1/2 inch drill and have the paint brush handle and winding check spinning in the opposite direction as the wire wheel. Then, using only light pressure about a 10 second encounter with the wire wheel gives you a beautiful brushed finish on the aluminum check.

Best wishes.

Date: March 25, 2021 08:54PM

That's a great idea Roger.

I think i'ii give that a whirl...no pun intended!

Thanks

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 26, 2021 08:13AM

Tlry coating the existing glossy one with matte clear finish from the spray can at the hardware.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster