I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy Mistake
Posted by: David Janes (---)
Date: March 23, 2021 06:17PM

So I mixed a batch of light epoxy for my under wraps. I must have miss measured and even though it set it is soft and very flexible. I can press my fingernail into it dent it and then it comes back out. It is not tacky at all. I mixed another batch and let it kick and it is fine. So, do I cut everything off and start over. Mix a new batch and apply a very thin layer over the existing. Or one friend said to tape everything of and wipe it down with xylol, or MEK untill the threads just start to get exposed? What say you guys.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy Mistake
Posted by: Wade Christensen (165.225.10.---)
Date: March 23, 2021 06:27PM

Coat it again. It will be fine

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: March 23, 2021 06:37PM

I'd first try a day or two of warm (80 degrees or so) environment if you can manage it. Assuming that does not work, a thin coat of epoxy EXACTLY measured using syringes to measure resin and hardener and well mixed is the highest probably for a successful resolution. Not a fan of solvents as they are hazardous and can create as many problems as they fix. If warmth and a final, thin coat of well measured and mixed epoxy does not work (it most probably will) then it is cut it all off and try again.

Take heart. There are two types of rod builders - those who have messed up finish epoxy and those who will. Welcome to the I've Messed Up Epoxy Club!

Date: March 23, 2021 06:43PM

I tried to force cure it by leaving it in the sun for two days and nothing. Even lightly heated with a hairdryer and no change. Guess I better return my wifes hairdryer to her.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: March 23, 2021 07:24PM

David,
Do not give-up hope, at least not yet. While it appears you did not include enough hardener, none the less there IS hardener in the mix and given time and temperature, if will eventually “go-off” or cure. Most common epoxies are “low temperature” meaning less than 150*F; a post-cure of 150* should work given enough time, possibly as many as 1-2 days. Get a suitable cardboard box, put a suitable incandescent light bulb in the box to achieve 140*-160* (a standard meat thermometer works well) and “cook” the rod for as long as it takes (possibly just overnight). Hair dryers and heat guns will not cut it as the period of time your arm can hold either is way too brief and inconsistent. After the existing suitably cures, apply a properly mixed coat over it. Been there, done that with success! Let me (us) know how it turns out.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 23, 2021 08:30PM

If it's not tacky, I wouldn't do anything for at least a few days. Let the epoxy continue to harden (it will) and see where things are 3 days out. Then if need be, recoat.

Do keep in mind that some epoxies do not get rock hard, but retain a slightly softer texture than others.

Date: March 23, 2021 08:53PM

Thanks Tom,
The original epoxy mix and the better measured batch are night and day different in hardness. The bad batch is no longer tacky but is much softer and more flexible then the second test batch. I applied the epoxy Thursday and it has improved a little over time but when I try to wrap the guide on the thread cuts in and can not be mended. I even backed off on the tension. When I take the thread off there are tiny groves that then go away. And with that being said I also just realised I have not switched from my size A thread to my size D thread for warpping the guide on. I think I need to slow down. Thank god I just realised that now before anymore frustration.

Date: March 23, 2021 09:10PM

David,
You will save ALOT of time by acquiring a proper box and light bulb rather than waiting for it to (hopefully) go-off at 80*, even 100*. Suit yourself.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 24, 2021 09:55AM

David,
In spite of contrary views, I simply take the position that building a rod is like building a house

If you build a house on a foundation of sand - the foundation fails and the house collapses.

By the same adage, a fishing rod that is built with an epoxy foundation that does not get hard - ensuing layers of epoxy do not make the first layer hard and stable.

In spite of the extra work, I have adapted the policy that if a rod finish does not get as hard as expected, it comes off and I start over.

Your choice.

Date: March 24, 2021 08:51PM

David,
With all due respect, ultimately, Roger is indeed correct (i.e. the wrong way verses the right way; pay me now or pay me latter). Additionally, if the present epoxy does not harden-up, then cut it off and start over. But in the grand scheme of things, you have spent considerable time wrapping the guides and forcing the epoxy to cure could save you a lot of grief. While the improperly mixed epoxy will be slightly compromised, virtually all the strength of a guide wrap comes from the thread (see my recent post on guide and thread strength). With a typical guide wrap producing over 10X the required strength, rest assured that even in your situation the guide will be more than secure as long as the epoxy cures to 90%+.

Mark Talmo

Date: March 25, 2021 01:07PM

Right now I am trying the oven idea to see what happens. Just got it set up. I have noticed that the epoxy has hardened a litle more. Since it's just the underwrap and the guides are not on yet I'll make my final decision after I remove it and let it sit a day or two.

Date: March 25, 2021 05:59PM

Put the rod in the oven yesterday evening, pulled it out an hour ago and it worked. Epoxy nice and hard.

Thanks everyone for all your advice. If it had not worked I would have probably tried a thin coat over the existing wraps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster