I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC X-ray spinning for spybait/finesse
Posted by: Carl Cole (206.198.5.---)
Date: March 23, 2021 12:02PM

Hello, I see that NFC is having a sale on their blanks. Would anyone be able to give a recommendation on which blank to buy if i'm interested in building one for the purpose of being a spybait/finesse spinning rod? Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC X-ray spinning for spybait/finesse
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 23, 2021 01:50PM

How light would you be fishing? 4# test or 8#?

I have the Xray spin-jig blanks in 703 and 732. Everything else I have would be too heavy. The 703, despite NFC's ratings is the lower power of the two. I would call it light power and the 732 med-light. I do have the SJ736 and think it would be too heavy. I'd call it medium to med-hvy.

Looks the next strength up from SJ732 is SB724 which I haven't felt. I'm not much of a fresh water bass guy so hopefully someone will come along with knowledge of that technique.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Carl Cole (206.198.60.---)
Date: March 23, 2021 02:02PM

Russell Brunt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How light would you be fishing? 4# test or 8#?
>
> I have the Xray spin-jig blanks in 703 and 732.
> Everything else I have would be too heavy. The
> 703, despite NFC's ratings is the lower power of
> the two. I would call it light power and the 732
> med-light. I do have the SJ736 and think it would
> be too heavy. I'd call it medium to med-hvy.
>
> Looks the next strength up from SJ732 is SB724
> which I haven't felt. I'm not much of a fresh
> water bass guy so hopefully someone will come
> along with knowledge of that technique.

I typically fish 8#. From your reply, it looks like the 732 is the way to go here and get the 736 for tube fishing. I really appreciate your response! Thank you!

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 23, 2021 03:17PM

Wait for others before you pull the trigger. We have some very knowledgeable guys when it comes to bass techniques. Most have far more experience with the NFC blanks than I do.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Jason Haney (---.mountainresearch.com)
Date: March 23, 2021 03:50PM

Carl,

Just built an X-Ray SJ703-1. In my opinion it's a bit heavy for a spy bait. I throw my Duo Realis Spinbait 80's and G-Fix 80's on a 6'6"L using 6 pound fluoro. I'd hesitate to throw a spybait on that ML 703 as I'd be afraid of pulling those tiny hooks. I view spybaits like crankbaits and want a moderate action to the rod, hook set isn't needed with those hooks. That SJ703 is gonna be a fantastic rod for finesse plastics, though.

Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: March 23, 2021 04:41PM

I built an MB733 and I think it would work well for spybaits. It seems more like a moving bait rod to me, more moderate than I would typically use for small jigs/plastics. Especially with mono or fluoro, I think there would plenty of stretch in the system for small treble hook baits.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: March 23, 2021 05:01PM

I built a SJ 703 from the fall sale. I have fished 6# and 8# on it. It performed well in the 8# line offerings. I was able to throw the 1/10oz (before bait) Ned rigs on it with the 703 on 6# but it really is not light enough to perform the way I wanted. 1/6oz was as light as I could go and still cast well. The 703 makes for a great all around finesse rod if you have to choose only one. Weightless senkos, small pop-r, soft plastic jerk baits and it even threw and worked a vision 110 jr very well.

Just remember that the lightness in finesse is different for everyone and the areas they fish. I have requests in my area for "medium heavy" finesse rods a lot more than you would think.

Posted by: Justin Hires (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 27, 2021 06:36AM

Carl Cole Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Russell Brunt Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > How light would you be fishing? 4# test or 8#?
> >
> > I have the Xray spin-jig blanks in 703 and 732.
>
> > Everything else I have would be too heavy. The
> > 703, despite NFC's ratings is the lower power
> of
> > the two. I would call it light power and the
> 732
> > med-light. I do have the SJ736 and think it
> would
> > be too heavy. I'd call it medium to med-hvy.
> >
> > Looks the next strength up from SJ732 is SB724
> > which I haven't felt. I'm not much of a fresh
> > water bass guy so hopefully someone will come
> > along with knowledge of that technique.
>
>
> I typically fish 8#. From your reply, it looks
> like the 732 is the way to go here and get the 736
> for tube fishing. I really appreciate your
> response! Thank you!

Carl, I can't comment on rod for spybait (never fished them), but you mentioned the 736 for tubes. I use the MB 736 for tubes. I cut it down to 6' 10" and pitch tubes with it on baitcast, and same length build on a spinning rod for shaky head ect . My favorite rod. Does well 3/16-1/2oz. Have some also cut to 7' and 7' 1" and use for casting tubes, jigs, tx rig plastics. Very light weight, very sensitive, and a good amount of power. SJ 736 I cut down to 6' 9" have couple for spinnerbait/chatterbait, topwater spook type baits, a 7' for buzz type baits, and heavier cover pitching plastics than the MB736. Handles 1/4-3/4oz well.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 28, 2021 01:51AM

Hydra would be an excellent source of everything you need, bass is all they do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster