I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Curved blanks
Posted by: Roger Rever (---)
Date: March 21, 2021 03:12PM

Workin on my fist rod build -- puttin together a spinning rod and am wonderin what the preferred guide placement is; on top of curve (tip down) or bottom (tip "up") of curve?

Or, does it really matter?

Thanx fer yer input/opinion

Take care and stay safe
Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Curved blanks
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: March 21, 2021 03:34PM

Tip up! Increases lifting power, and the weight of the guides helps to straighten the blank. Others may do it differently, but I like to minimize the curve as much as possible.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 21, 2021 05:01PM

Roger,
Curve down.

The difference in lifting power is negligible.

I just like the look of the curve down better than curve up.

Best wishes

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: March 21, 2021 06:14PM

" Or, does it really matter"?

No , it doesn't really matter. Both opinions above are NOT wrong it's really up to you .

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: March 21, 2021 07:38PM

I thought the spine determined that.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: March 21, 2021 07:56PM

I always build on the straightest axis with the tip up.
Norm

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 21, 2021 09:46PM

Yep, tip up. Spinning rod.... guides on the bottom. Conventionally wrapped casting rod.... guides on the top. But always tip up. Let the weight of the guides straighten the blank for you.

Why you would build with the tip down and let the weight of the guides further accentuate the curve in the blank, is beyond me. It's definitely not something I would do.

Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: March 21, 2021 10:00PM

I also thought the spine mattered. They even make and sell a spine finder.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 21, 2021 10:22PM

The spine doesn't matter.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: March 21, 2021 10:25PM

The spine matters on a casting rod. I've had the rod spiral under load when it has not been spited properly.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 21, 2021 11:09PM

Once you put a set of guides on top and load the rod it will try to wrist to the bottom no matter how you build it. Anchor the line to something, hold the rod palm under on the foregrip and palm on top on the rear grip, load the rod and release your hands so that the rod is cradled in your hands, what did the rod do again?

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: March 22, 2021 12:57AM

I build along the straight axis.

Have fun

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.paw.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: March 22, 2021 07:34AM

I'm with Norm !

Rog

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 22, 2021 09:56AM

No matter how finicky you are about locating a blank's curvature your efforts will not produce a measurable difference in the rod's performance. If the curvature is so pronounced you immediately notice it you should probably return the blank for a straighter one - just for looks.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 22, 2021 12:01PM

Agree with Tom and Phil E. I just CCS measured a fly rod both ways and couldn't find the difference. I have a busy mind, so I build in whatever fashion that will produce the least noticeable bend so I won't tend to focus on it. Most of the time it really doesn't matter because the blanks are generally very straight.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 22, 2021 12:31PM

This topic always fires everybody up. It is like the Twix commercial, "left side or right side". Up, down or sideways doesn't matter but one may look better than the other to you. Sometimes you get lucky and the spine matches the curve, but the spine really doesn't matter either. In the end the guides direct the blank how to bend.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 22, 2021 01:11PM

Mark Brassett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The spine matters on a casting rod. I've had the
> rod spiral under load when it has not been spited
> properly.

That's caused by the lever arm effect of the guides, not spine orientation.

Posted by: Roger Rever (---)
Date: March 22, 2021 01:33PM

Thanx y'all for all the info -- much appreciated.

Gave my ego a boost, exactly what I thought: spine doesn't matter, curve/straightest-axis doesn't really effect performance, mostly an aesthetic kinda thing.

I'm really startin to get a grasp of the theoretical side of rod building, the physical side though is a lot steeper of a learning curve than I ever imagined, especially if you have no specialized equipment, i.e. reamers, power wrappers, lathes, dryers etc. Combine that w/poor eyesight, clumsy fingers that are a couple sizes too large...

Continue to be amazed and ever so grateful for the wealth of knowledge freely shared on this site. Thank you, thank you to all you pro builders for sharing yer rod buildin wisdom with us hobbyists.

Take Care & Stay Safe.
and
git vaccinated.
Please.
(Washington State just went to phase 3!! of pandemic restrictions... most businesses are back to near normal ops!)
Roger

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---)
Date: March 30, 2021 05:46PM

I believe the spine does matter for certain applications. I set my guides on the belly,from the tip halfawdown the blank, to top to take advantage of the softer, slower action. On the lower half of the blank, I set my guides on the straightes axis, to improve lifting strength. This gives me a forgiving tip that will act as a shock absorber to protect my tippet, preventing it from snapping if something lage hits it. This also gives me the rod strength where I need it, in the bottom half. As far as torque on the blank goes, that's caused by the moment of force created by the lever action of the guides, and so has little to nothing to do with guide placement with relation to the spine, or belly.. From a physics standpoint, this makes sense to me. All remarks, and arguments to my thoughts are appreciated.

Tight lines and frisky fish

RJF

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster