I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reaming fly rod grip
Posted by: Mike Gabbay (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2021 07:28PM

I’m building a 3wt CTS rod. The taper on the butt section is very gradual. My reamer is a little more normal taper. When I ream to match the back end of the grip the front is too tight. If I continue to ream to allow the grip to slip further down the blank the back end will have a larger inner diameter than the blank. My thought was to add a tape arbor to keep the grip centered. Does that make sense? Thoughts on this approach?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reaming fly rod grip
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2021 07:56PM

That will work well.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2021 08:37PM

Personally, I don’t like to use tape as an arbor under a grip, or anything under a grip when this could happen.

I’d visit a hardware store and try to find a round Double Cut file. Some auto parts stores may also have them. I have found them to be good for those in between moments when a commercial bought reamer has to much taper as compared to the blank.

Another option is to make your own out of a scrap piece of blank.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2021 09:19PM

Just ream a little from the front of the grip with the same reamer. Hopefully you haven't reamed too much from the rear already. I have used tape arbors on carbon wrapped foam where the hole was too big for the blank and it worked well. If you don't want to use masking tape use drywall fiberglass tape.

Posted by: Mike Gabbay (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2021 09:45PM

It looks like with a little reaming with the rat file and I only need an arbor of .75mm at the back of the grip. I was going to try a 1/2” wide mesh fiber tape about a 1/2” from the back of the grip. That should keep the grip centered and allow the epoxy to dam a little.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: March 21, 2021 09:46AM

Just be careful of having a "void" between the grip and blank.
If epoxy does not fill it when installing, you may have a crack appear in the cork later on.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: March 21, 2021 12:01PM

I would wrap the back of the grip with thread (size E) to center the grip and use a liberal amount of epoxy on the blank to fill in any voids.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: March 21, 2021 01:54PM

To start with if this build is using a recessed hood style seat, If you have properly arbored the seat, it will automatically center the back end of the grip. While I do not recommend it totally if overly large between the rear of the grip and the blank even with minimal arboring as you slide the grip down to meet the seat, the excess glue is most likely going to fill and compensate for any voids during the process

Ron Weber

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 21, 2021 02:02PM

you can make an arbor out of wine corks an it works just fine , you need to fill the void in the grip as much an you can so the grip will not fall apart over time ,
PS I got my wine corks off the NET cheep , I suppose you could drink a couple bottles of wine to get them , your choice ,
just a different way of doing filling the void ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 21, 2021 06:44PM

You buy me the wine and I'll send you the corks for nothing! lol

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2021 09:26AM

I solved my problem by going slowly, and changing the width (size) files I used on the large and small ends of the handle. Also, constantly sliding the handle on the blank to test the fit is another good idea. My main problem was that I tried to get the reaming job done too quickly. I found my patience was the key.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 22, 2021 10:07AM

I rub a soft lead pencil along the blank where the grip will fall, push the grip down the blank to its desired location, twist it around a couple of times and remove the blank. Then I take a big rat-tail file and lightly file down the pencil-lead marked areas in the grip tunnel.

Posted by: Roger Rever (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2021 05:19PM

Phil,
What a cool idea.
Bruce,
I had the same learning experience, i.e. not enough patience... Coulda done 1,000% better job if I had only had a lil more patience.
It's my 1st build and I was excited to finally have the last of the parts delivered (took me 3-4 wk.s to get all the parts).
That's my excuse, and I'm stickin to it!

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster