I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Winding checks
Posted by: John Duncan (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2021 07:03AM

What’s the best way to secure winding checks to the fore grip
Using aluminum ones right now

Thanks
John d

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Winding checks
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 19, 2021 07:49AM

A spot of glue.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.121.hwccustomers.com)
Date: March 19, 2021 09:37AM

John,
If the WC fits properly - then the butt wrap will snug it up to the foregrip. The thread finish will complete the job.
If the WC is a little too large - pack the thread under the WC to secure it. Then finish.
Herb

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 19, 2021 11:24AM

as was stated above you glue it or bind it , it is up to you , as how it fits , loose or tight ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: March 19, 2021 11:24AM

A snug fit and a spot of adhesive is all it takes. If the WC does not fit snugly replace it, it is one of the cheapest components of the build. Fit it on another rod.

Have fun

John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2021 11:27AM by John DeMartini.

Posted by: John Duncan (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2021 01:45AM

Thank you
John Duncan

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2021 02:59AM

I use aluminum checks alot. I am a little hesitant to have a tight fit of metal on the blank. I like to have a gap between the blank and check. I use a check a size up from what I need. Use a very thin strip of masking tape to get the check to fit with just a slight amount of effort. I then position the rod vertical and fill the gap with epoxy out of a syringe.

In some cases the check I want to use is not available in a size close to what I want. Build lots of UL: rods and most aluminum checks are too big. In that case I just build up more tape to get check in position. I find a paste epoxy easier to fill a larger gap. Only trouble is paste epoxy is typically not clear. I found it very easy to dye it black using some ground up charcoal.

One other thing about filling the gap regardless of size on the aluminum checks is when you do any type of butt wrap. Nice to have a "wall" to pack your wrap against.

Posted by: Tim Shaffer (---)
Date: March 20, 2021 06:49PM

I have used the black Testors paint to dye rod bond, the same paint I use for marbling, it would be less messier than charcoal. I pour the clear stuff off the paint and just have the pigment leftover. It only takes a drop to dye it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2021 07:00PM by Tim Shaffer.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2021 09:27PM

I use a lot of aluminum winding checks and mount them when I mount the grips or real seats. I just use the left over paste epoxy that I used on the grip or reel seat. A little bit is all it takes. I also cover my winding checks with wrapping epoxy when I apply it to the trim bands next to them. If you use them in saltwater they can corrode without covering or sealing them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster