I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First fly rod build. Parts questions. NFC blanks
Posted by: Dan Pentecost (---)
Date: March 17, 2021 09:52PM

I finally got my 8, 10, and 12wt fly blanks from NFC. Planning on using them in the saltwater for the typical bonefish, permit and tarpon. I have never built a fly rod. Are there reel seats with fighting butts that you would recommend to me? I almost always use Fuji on my spinning and casting rods. I don't know what if any brand is preferred or trusted for fly rods?

Also guides... I was thinking either "Snake Brand" made in the USA guides or the ceracoil guides from recoil?

Anything you could think of that is much different making a fly rod vs a spinning rod I should know before I mess up?

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2021 09:53PM by Dan Pentecost.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First fly rod build. Parts questions. NFC blanks
Posted by: Gary Goldsmith (---)
Date: March 17, 2021 10:10PM

I've built all my fly rods off of NFC blanks. Love them. My standard is REC titanium guides and an REC RSLS in titanium. I usually use carbon fiber handle and fighting butt. I get it all off mudhole. Super light build.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: March 18, 2021 09:02AM

Fly reel seats are sold with threaded butt ends which will accept several different sizes and shapes of fighting butts. They are usually unscrewed when the rod is not in use.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: March 18, 2021 10:07AM

I prefer to have my fighting butts built directly on the butt of the rod, for both safety as well as security. Nothing worse that unscrewing the butt setting it down never to be seen again. Most upper end fly seats will come with a finish or transition ring to accomplish an almost seamless look between the seat and the fighting butt.

Ron Weber

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 18, 2021 10:44AM

I agree with Ron on avoiding screw-on fighting butts. For this application I really like the Alps R-CAH LXL2 Fly Seat (Saltwater). Sharp appearance, machined aluminum, double nuts, has the nice transition ring that Ron mentions, bullet proof. Pricey, but what the heck, you only go around once.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2021 06:13PM

I'm also not a fan of removable fighting butts. Plenty of options out there for Salt Safe reel seats. Personally I like the Lemke and REC seats. Guides, both REC and Snake Brand have excellent stuff, with the Snake Brand, make sure you get the ECO coated guides for the Salt.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 18, 2021 08:50PM

I do like the idea of a ringed guide like cerecoil. I know those fish fight hard and make long runs. Also not a fan of removable butts.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 19, 2021 01:20AM

Since it's your rods there is no reason you can't use your old reliable Fuji pipe seats on your builds, maybe one of the larger tarpon sized fighting butts and Snake guides. The salt environment won't bother the seats, they won't loosen, bind or jam anymore than they do on your gear rods, they certainly won't be holding anymore load than they do on your other rods. I think NFC still has their graphite grips on sale if you go that route, just as nice as the others out there IMO.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 20, 2021 09:42AM

I have never had a fighting butt loosen while fighting a fish, but it could happen. When it does I'll put a couple drops of epoxy on the threads of my removable reel seats. Until then I will continue to enjoy rod tubes which are 3-4" shorter.

Date: March 20, 2021 11:56AM

Thanks so much for the tips everyone. I think I will email REC on Monday and order three sets of guides from them. You all seem to think they are good. I am sure the snake brand are too. I am just remembering emailing them about something else and getting really good customer service.

I don't know about the handles and seats yet. Never tried the carbon fiber grips, but I might. I know NFC uses them on the EDGE rods. I had imagined full wells cork and some pretty stainless reel seats, but maybe all black could be fun for a change.

Hopefully they will turn out great and I'll have some luck with them this summer!

Thanks again

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 20, 2021 03:05PM

The Edge fly rods I have seen had Lemke seats on them.

Date: March 20, 2021 04:28PM

I'll look for that...I checked them out and I thought they were alps. Not really trying to copy EDGE anyway. I am sure they use nice components though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster