I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lightweight reduction guides
Posted by: Mike Moore (---)
Date: March 17, 2021 09:47PM

Hey all, I’m going to build a mhx sj 842 spinner and was looking for thoughts on what guides to use. I want to stay as light as I can without using $35 titanium guides. What are the lightest cost effective guides for this?
Will be used with 12lb braid throwing top waters for stripers and bluefish.
Thanks for your help

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lightweight reduction guides
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: March 18, 2021 12:22AM

Mike,
When (less) weight is paramount over durability, PacBay Minima M guides followed by F runners are a very good choice and are of sufficient height to allow and utilize Fuji’s KR Concept spacing. While they are lighter than the Fuji KL-H reduction guides, none the less I prefer the Fujis. However, the weight savings of the PB F running guides compared to the Fuji KBs and KTs runners is miniscule. One way or the other, a Fuji Alconite ringed LG tip top is a super choice for either (any) brand of running guides.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (193.201.167.---)
Date: March 18, 2021 04:59AM

Try steel-framed reduction guides with titanium running guides. The lighter tip will make the rod feel lighter in hand. Besides titanium running guides will not break the bank.

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 18, 2021 10:10AM

PacBay minima, like Mark says, are the lightest. Put a ceramic tip top on it. I have a couple of store bought rods I put minimas on and they're much crisper feeling.

Posted by: Zachary guyach (---)
Date: March 18, 2021 11:17AM

Mark, what frame/ring do you like with the Fuji's?

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 18, 2021 06:39PM

[www.youtube.com] also this: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2021 06:42PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: March 18, 2021 11:15PM

Zachary,
KL-H reduction guides followed by as many KBs as the blank diameter will allow and KTs the rest of the way to a LG tip top; I find the Alconite rings to be durable and slippery at an affordable price. The size of the rings is dependent on line type and test as well as the reel size. While the KR Concept was based on utilizing the limpness of braided line, lower pound-test flor/mono is inherently quite limp as well. For my ULs employing a 750 -2000 spinning reel spooled with 2-4lb floro coated mono, a KL-16H, 8H, 5.5M reduction train works awesome although a KL-20H, 10H, 5.5M may be more versatile if there is a chance of using a larger reel and/or larger line. While most will use only 1-2 KBs to deal with mid-rod stress, I employ its wider, longer, scalloped edge foot as far out on the blank as its diameter will allow; but that is just me. Set the stripper 19-20in from the reel spool face, the first KB (choke guide) about 20-22in from the stripper, adjust the other two reduction guides to produce a “bullseye” (with the rod in the fishing position / guides down), static load test for the placement of the runners (and fine-tune the reduction guides). The end product is an unbeatably awesome performing rod every time!
With the exception of my extended use of KBs, what I have suggested is in line with the GPS program/software from Angler’s Resource and from a Fuji Guru, Norman Miller, from which I have learned a wealth of information.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: March 19, 2021 12:13PM

"cost effective" is a comparison of utility to purchase price. "Purchase price" is easy; "utility" not so much. What exactly is it that you desire your chosen guides to do that a different make or model guide might not do?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster