I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Popping rod
Posted by: Zachary guyach (---)
Date: March 17, 2021 04:56PM

What's everyone's favorite rod and setup for popping corks for sea trout and redfish? I have limited experience, but I personally like the Z-Man EZ pre-rigged shrimp. I suppose my realistic target fish size would be 5lbs.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Popping rod
Posted by: John Keough (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 17, 2021 05:12PM

American Tackle Bushido CB72/8-15 or American Tackle Matrix MA-P7/8-17, these would be my choice.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: March 17, 2021 07:51PM

You may also want to check out the American Tackle MB731/12-20 - it has outstanding sensitivity and plenty of backbone for when the stray Redfish slams your shrimp!

Date: March 17, 2021 08:11PM

Thanks for the info. I'm really just looking at what everyone uses. Every manufacturer seems to have multiple popping blanks. I do like the idea of a mod-f action so I can use some top water plugs. Any other good baits to use? I never run deviated from the plastic shrimp since it works for me but honestly I don't have anything to compare it to.

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: March 17, 2021 08:39PM

Any 7' medium power blank with a fast tip will work fine for the heaver popping cork. I use what we call a rattle cork which is light weight sliding foam cork with an internal 8" stiff ss wire looped on both ends and a couple of plastic "rattle" beads both above and below the foam cork. When you pop the cork, the beads simulate the sound a shrimp makes when it "pops" to escape a predator. This lighter cork allows me to use a 7' medium light blank in both the casting and spinning configuration. After over 50 years of targeting specks and reds along the Louisiana coast, my best combos are the ML casting with a 1/4 oz jighead and a 3" to 4" plastic tail. and then the 7' ML spinning for the rattle cork.

Date: March 17, 2021 09:23PM

I use the same rattle cork on a ML rod. I feel like I do better with metal beads over plastic beads. The weighted plastic shrimp are 1/4:ounce as well. I only get to go to the Outer Banks once a year so I really don't want to spend a decent amount of money on a blank That will not be used often.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 17, 2021 09:33PM

Rainshadow SP843, a lot of blank for the money. 844 if you need a bit more muscle.

Posted by: Trevor Esparza (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 17, 2021 09:57PM

Liberty P704/705 from GetBit.

Posted by: Danny Smith (---)
Date: March 19, 2021 09:00AM

I just built one out of a Lamiglas 7'6" Lamiglas rod that I like very much. I can't remember the model number just now, but it is very nice.

Fishing is not a sport, it is an art.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: March 20, 2021 04:22AM

I’m getting suspicious about how a chorus has emerged to answer quickly and repeatedly that American Tackle products are the best option for so many questions that are asked here. I get company reps, as sponsors, giving product updates and answering questions. The frequency and intensity of the other drum beating is becoming a little curious, though. This fandom just doesn’t seem in balance with the positioning of many of their product lines and the popularity of several other component and blank manufacturers.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2021 05:49PM by Kendall Cikanek.

Date: March 20, 2021 01:07PM

*popcorn*

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 21, 2021 01:00PM

Maybe some have just started looking at their products and liking what they see. I really thought their Bushido fly blanks boxed above their weight class and hated to see them go, a great product for the price. Haven't had a component failure in the near 20 years I have used Am Tack, so they most be doing something right. When G Loomis was owned by Gary, he used Pac Bay components, no one complained while he was building his customer base, being herd bound about rod building components can restrict your knowledge base and options.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster