I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Match Guides
Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 15, 2021 12:06PM

I have an old set (late 70's vintage) of Fuji match guides. I have an original Loomis ultralight blank I bought way back in the mid-70's and and after procrastinating for about 50 years I'm finally going to build it up. I see match guides mentioned for center pin rods. What are they customarily used for, and in what way would they be preferable to a KR set up?

Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Match Guides
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 15, 2021 03:22PM

Match guides go on match rods, mine was constructed in England, the guide setup is closer to Cone of Flight in concept however, it was also built "back in the day." They are very similar in height to the high frame guides you mentioned, Fuji made them for a while in double and single foot designs, called them the Fleaweight guides if I remember right, Pac Bay still makes them in single foot.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 15, 2021 03:51PM

David,
Match guides do a wonderful job of keeping the line from hitting the rod - particularly on a spinning reel.

I always use a match guide for my first or stripper to allow me to use a smaller sized ring in this guide and still get wonderful line control with no line slapping as is the case with a shorter guide.

But a full set of match guides work very very well and you will have an excellent casting and fish catching rod.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: March 15, 2021 04:44PM

Back in the 70s I built a number of rods using match guides, as Spencer mentioned they were cone of flight setups, with a very high framed tip top. They worked ok but I was never impressed with them. I now use match guides as reduction train guides in a KR-like concept much like the Fuji KL-H guides. They have very similar heights to the Fuji KL-H guides and can be grouped into similar reduction trains. For example, 16M, 8M, and 6(or 5M); or 20M, 10M, and 6M; or 25M, 12M, and 6M. These reduction trains are then followed by low profile L-type running guides. In my opinion, When M guides are used in a KR concept set up, the results are far superior then when used in a traditional Match guide set up.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster