I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lathe help
Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.hampton.k12.va.us)
Date: March 15, 2021 08:32AM

Looking at starting to turn my own grips and need help with a lathe. I've googled, searched on here, and done other research but still have too many questions. I understand what a lathe is and does, but I'm lost with all the attachments. Can the experts on here point me in the right direction? What type of chuck is preferred for turning and or reaming grips? Which tools, chisels, cutters, etc. need to be purchased with the lathe? It would be great if a company put together a "rod Builder lathe" that came with all the basics needed to just do grips. lol. Any help is appreciated.

Capt. Craig Freeman
Grading Scales Sportfishing and Back River Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lathe help
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 15, 2021 09:44AM

RodMaker published an article last year or so that outlined the basics of lathe attachments, what you actually need versus what is simply nice to have.

In short, collets are great if you're only going to be turning on mandrels. I'd go a step further and get a self centering 3 or 4 jaw chuck and equip it with a set of spigot jaws. That'll take care of 99% of what just about any rod builder would ever turn on a lathe. You need a live center for the tailstock (some lathes offer this standard, others don't) and a Jacobs type chuck if you want to bore from the tailstock (you will, eventually).

In terms of cutting tools don't go overboard and don't buy a "set" of lathe tools. Most of them you'll never use. You want a roughly gouge, a Bedan or parting tool and a round nose scraper. Those three tools will allow you to turn just about grip or handle that comes to mind and from any material, cork, wood, acrylic, etc. Pick up a Stanley Sur-form file, too.

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2021 11:20AM

The Flex Coat Lathe Setup is a good option if space is limited or you want something to quickly setup outside, let the dust fly, and then break it down and stow it away. All you need is a drill which you probably already have.

[flexcoat.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 15, 2021 12:36PM

Hello All.

The magazine Tom recommended is "Lathe Accessories" by Tom Kirkman volume 22 Issue 5 page 16.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 15, 2021 04:07PM

Craig,
Just understand that if you get into any serious lathe turning work you will likely end up spending as much or more for accessories, as you have done for the original lathe.

But, if you are only going to start out shaping grips, just get a good chuck, a good live center tail stock, and a supply of sandpaper. A stanley surform file works very well for coarse material - particularly if you are working with cork.

Actually the first set of turning tools that I used with the lathe was a set of wood chisels. For basic turning, this actually works very well.

For example:
[www.homedepot.com]

For a starter set of wood turning tools, and to familiarize you with the various tools, a set like this works as a starter set. Understand that the steel is of mediocre quality and you will need to frequently sharpen the tools; but they will get you going.

[www.harborfreight.com]

------------------
This picture is of one of the first wood grips that I made for use on an ice fishing rod. You can see the various parts of the lathe being used.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

In the picture listed above, here are the following accessories that did not come with the chuck.
3-inch 3-Jaw Taig chuck, with set of full round aluminum jaws, and also a 3/4-16 thread adapter to adapt to the 1x8 tpi head stock chuck.
Keyless 1/2 inch chuck with mt-2 insert to fit the tail stock.
Steady rest - that I made and used with my full length rod lathe, but it also works very well with this lathe to support work.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.hampton.k12.va.us)
Date: March 16, 2021 11:28AM

Thanks for the info. I think my rodmaker subscription lapsed and didn't get that issue. Just renewed and bought the magazine mentioned above.

Capt. Craig Freeman
Grading Scales Sportfishing and Back River Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster