I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bamboo Fly Rod Rebuilding
Posted by: Donald Albrecht (---)
Date: March 15, 2021 02:11AM

Hello,
I am new to this forum and board. I am a retired chemical engineer and built numerous fly rods in the 70's and 80's. I have rebuilt/refinished a few six strip rods over the years, but now retired, I am looking to expand my hobby by redoing a number of used bamboo fly rods (some VERY used) of various ages and pedigrees. I am originally a polymer chemist and went back to grad school for chemical engineering degrees. I don't say this to brag but to show that I have knowledge of coating chemistry and industrial processes. Any information, hints or recommendations will be gladly received. I look forward to learning from others with the same desire to bring some of these old beauties back to life.

Donald E. Albrecht

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bamboo Fly Rod Rebuilding
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 15, 2021 02:39PM

Bamboo decays even while embalmed in a coating. I would seek the nicest looking finish for display and avoid disappointment on the water.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2021 03:25PM

Donald,
There is another forum called the Classic Fly Rod Forum, it mainly deals with Cane. There are also several books out there that get into repairs, restoring and refinishing cane. If you looking to restore your rods to original specs, I'd try to get you hands on the Bamboo Restoration Handbook by Michael Sinclair (book is out of print and prices vary on the used market), while his book does not tell you how to restore, it does give you the specs for many popular Cane rods.

I'm also testing my hand at doing some repair on a couple of Cane rods, plus a full on restore on a Heddon 17 1/2, I have nothing into the rod so far, so if Phil's" Debbie Downer" premonition becomes the future of this rod, all is not lost.

Good luck and have fun with them.

Posted by: Jim Crisci (---)
Date: March 15, 2021 03:51PM

Donald,
I second Bill's recommendation on Sinclair's book. It's hard to find and getting more expensive as time goes on but it's the best guide out there for vintage rods. Also, check out Proof Fly Fishing. They're working on a series of tutorials on bamboo restoration and they sell supplies to aid the process.

I own a lot of vintage bamboo that I have refinished and fish regularly. It's a very rewarding experience to strip one of these old soldiers down to bare bamboo and bring it back as close as you choose to original and then catch a fish on it.

Me email is on my profile. Contact me and I can help you get started.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2021 08:32PM

I see where you are going with your ideas. I’ve repaired/restored my fair share of cane rods. Obviously the normal finish is a varnish. However, there are/were several companies that used a impregnated finish. There are folks out there now using a similar finish normally used for pool cues. Absorbing rate would vary I’m sure. Pressuring the finish in a closed container may effect the glue joints. But hey, there’s millions of old rods to practice on. Personally I’m interested in your results.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: March 17, 2021 12:32AM

Donald,
The first thing you need to decide considering coatings is if want your rebuild/restoration to be era-correct or optimum. Old-school coatings are just that, old, and while there are those who may consider them to be “proper” for a vintage repair, modern coatings are generally tougher, last longer and maybe even easier to apply. Is it a museum piece or something someone is actually going to (hopefully) fish? Case-in-point; I coat all my vintage Conolon blanks with modern Perma Gloss = it’s awesome! I also used PG for the one cane rod I have built as well as rebuilding the saltwater cane rod my Dad used in 1946 = same awesome results albeit not period-correct. The choice is yours.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: March 19, 2021 12:24PM

Concur with Mark. You must first decide if your bamboo rod is going to be a fishing pole or a period-correct display piece.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster