I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fluke rod
Posted by: John Sansevera (---.hsd1.ny.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2021 05:19PM

Seeing how 99 percent of my builds are for fresh water, I'm looking for someone to point me in the right direction. A friend of mine wants a fluke jigging rod for Montauk area , he says he uses 20-40 lb test with heavier jigs, how heavy he didn't say. He has been using a Shimano Trevala jigging rod model TVSC-63MH , he want it at least 7FT long with a trigger reel seat. My problem with him is he is very tough on rods, stopped making him rods 30yrs ago because he kept breaking them from abuse, hopefully he grew up. Need someone to suggest a good light weight blank , not looking to break the bank but with him durable is the first thing that comes to mind.

Fishing is not a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fluke rod
Posted by: David Parsons (---)
Date: March 14, 2021 07:28PM

batson has some new slow jigging blanks that i like for fluke jigging

Posted by: Joseph Willsen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 15, 2021 01:59PM

Most guys around Montauk are using Spro Bucktail jigs for fluke.....they range up to 6 oz. Lots of guys will tie rigs with dropper loops with the jig and add on a hook or two with Gulp Grubs or minnows for doormats. If that helps.

IMHO anything over 15 lb test is overkill for fluke. Unless it is braid of course.

I hope this helps.

Posted by: Ancelmo Fernandez (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: March 16, 2021 11:06AM

I set one of buddies up with a narrow light weight jigging reel, braided line, and a Bushido Nanophene Ultraload in medium action and he say's it is the best fluke/tautog outfit he has ever fished. It is in the 20-40# class blank but it is light enough to hold in your hands all day without so much fatigue but sensitive enough to feel the more subtile bites on the bottom. The blank is 7' and only weighs 3.41oz. He mostly fishes from a head boat so he requested something bigger than 6'3". I am thinking of incorporating this blank into some of the other techniques I use offshore, I was that impressed.

[www.americantackle.us]

t[www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: Arthur Amaral (---)
Date: March 22, 2021 11:27PM

The abuse part from your friend makes me hesitant to recommend these blanks lol. The jigging world 120 and 250 gram rods are very good choices for fluking. The Rainshadow Revelation slow pitch medium is another great choice. Everyone that I've let use these rods are impressed, especially by the Revelation blank. If you want something that will take more abuse, american tackle jigging blanks or the rainshadow knife jigging rods. I hope that helps you!

Posted by: Arthur Amaral (---)
Date: March 22, 2021 11:42PM

Sorry forgot to mention that the jigging world blanks are the Black Widow and there was a typo, I meant to type 120 and 150 gram rated blanks, I personally prefer the 150 gram for that type of fishing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster