I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rookie mistake
Posted by: Stan Vogel (---)
Date: March 14, 2021 07:34AM

While wrapping son's 5wt fly rod I ran out of Garnet thread. Slate blanks look great with garnet (I have one) and he agreed. So, ordered the new size A for the tip section only (4 pc) and thought it looked different but the epoxy would darken and cover any slight difference. Ah, no. I have been using Fugi NOCP, I ordered CP. Huge difference. I'm not gonna try to remove the epoxied guides, I'm hoping the rod mfr will send me a new tip so I can build with correct thread. He'll have a spare for when he breaks the tip. HeHe

Pays to slow down doesn't it?

Edited to add; think I'll order another 5wt and use it for my travel rod. One wrapped with CP and one without. My other 2 fly rod builds are 2 pc rods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2021 08:14AM by Stan Vogel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rookie mistake
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 14, 2021 09:18AM

Stan,
It sounds like the only guides that have the incorrect color are in the tip section. So, there are likely only two or three guides in that section. Do yourself a favor, cut off the guides, use the right thread and redo the tip section. No point in leaving a tip section laying around to remind you of a mistake that was once made.

It only takes about 5 minutes to cut off the guides and another 15 minutes to rewrap and recoat the guides.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: March 14, 2021 09:34AM

I agree with Roger, remove the guides and rewrap with the correct color. The guides will be going back exactly where they came from, so it should be problem. When removing guides cut the thread on top of the guide foot, this will prevent you from cutting the blank. Of course, if you are going to get another blank then it would just be a matter of switching out the tips on the two rods. But why buy another blank if you don’t have to.
Norm

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 14, 2021 10:05AM

I know you're a rookie, (the title says so) so you may not be good at wrapping guides just yet, but do as Roger and Norman have suggested and strip the guides wrapped in the color that you don't like, and do it right. Just chock it up to what you and everyone else that builds rods has done in the past, or still does .... you made a mistake. Learn from it.

Please don't take the easy, and sorry if this offends you but, don't take the lazy way out. You'll end up regretting it,

Date: March 14, 2021 11:58AM

Great responses! I need a travel rod anyway, so I'm ordering another 5wt and will wrap the tip with the correct thread and send it as if nothing happened. I'd rather not mess with cutting off the thread and risk harming that very fragile looking tip material. Look at it this way, I just gained a 5wt for travel. Win win?

And, there are 6 guides and a ferrule wrap on this tip piece.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2021 12:15PM by Stan Vogel.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 14, 2021 12:22PM

Stan,
Then, don't mess with the tip material.
You wrapped the tip with the new thread.
So, just cut the other guides off the blank where the blank is thicker and less fragile.

But, on the other hand, you have built a wonderful rod that has been well done and will catch a lot of fish and give you a bunch of enjoyment - as is.

Go fishing and have fun.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: March 14, 2021 04:00PM

Stan,
I take exception to Roger’s comment in his first reply, “No point in leaving a tip section laying around to remind you of a mistake that was once made.” I have plenty of reminders of mistakes I have made, both lying around and being used as well!!! lol. I do not know how involved the threadwork is in your guide wraps. Some of mine require over an hour each to wrap so I can understand your point. Roger, Norman and Stan are indeed trying to help. Do as you see fit, but either way, learn from the experience.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 14, 2021 04:29PM

Just check the new blank for fit first. Even if it is the same brand/model each piece might be fitted. Would stink to just assume and find out you made another mistake.

I'm weird enough I might re-wrap the second section and see how a zebra rod looks. At least I could say I planned it that way:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: March 14, 2021 04:40PM

Wraps are not that difficult, 2 metallic trim bands I learned how to do on a Rodmaker Magazine video, that guy is good. But the tip and guides are so small I dont want to mess with 'em. This is my 14th rod build within the last year, I keep stretching my abilities, but the reward for the risk I don't feel comfortable about in this case. And remember, I get a 5wt to travel with. TeeHee

Date: March 15, 2021 07:12AM

Good point, Russell. I've thought there could be a difference in ferrule sizing between the rods. That would change my plans if the tips didn't interchange.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster