I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Common cents
Posted by: Mark D Schulte (---)
Date: March 13, 2021 10:23AM

I have a few fly rods under my belt now and have been checking with the common cents method. 2 of my 6wt a TFO and Rod Geeks came in at ERN 6.08 one older unknown that was sold as a 5 wt came in at 7.40 and two 8wt NFC and Rainshadow came in at 10.24 . Amazed how my 6wt seem to line up and the 8wt seem over rated. Just a little inconsistent. Now with these numbers dies it mean I can step up line weight on the 8wt's and be ok?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Common cents
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 13, 2021 11:17AM

All the rods are correctly rated, because there is no manufacturer system for rating fly rods. They are labeled by the manufacturer for the type of fishing and casting they designed the rod to be used for. If you can't get a rod to load at the distance you're fishing, there is nothing wrong, and it's even good, to perhaps up-line by one or two line sizes.

From what I'm seeing on the CCS power ratings (those aren't line numbers) your TFO and Rodgeeks 6-weight rods are intended for close to moderate distances with a 6-weight line. Your 5-weight rod is intended for medium to long distance casting (I'll bet it's a 9 footer) with a 5-weight line. If you're fishing in closer you should certainly step up to at least a 6-weight line. The NFC and Rainshadow 8-weight rods are for longer distance casts with an 8-weight line. If are fishing in closer with them, or can't get them to load for whatever type fishing you're doing, by all means step up to at least a 9-weight line and try that.

Posted by: Mark D Schulte (---)
Date: March 13, 2021 11:26AM

Thanks Tom. I should have mentioned all are 9' as far as the 8wt goes with these rods line weight is kind of a moot point. They will be used for steelhead Chuck and Duck and Indy rigs.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 13, 2021 05:23PM

My experience in measuring fly rods is that all of them I've measured from 3 different brands are all more powerful than the nominal for their described line wt. Some are into the next line wt significantly.

To answer directly your question, yes, you can, unless you are interested in making very long casts, go up a line weight to one that is consistent with your measurements for those rods that you have found out of range on the more powerful side.

The logic of considering these discrepancies a matter of the brands' intentions of using them for shorter or longer casts is flawed, in my opinion. It would be much better if they would keep the power of their blanks/rods closer to the nominal description and let us decide if we wanted to use them for shorter or longer casts. We have no way of knowing their intent. So in effect, we have no way of knowing whether their product will work well with the $100 line we buy based on their description of the rod.

In conclusion, custom builders would be well served by doing their own power ratings using CCS, which is not difficult, and buy their lines after testing the blanks, allowing them to tune the line to the rod power and their intended use without wasting a lot of money on a line that won't work well.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 13, 2021 05:26PM

CF Burkheimer used to rate all his rods for 3 fly lines, i.e. 4-5-6, which was meant to show the angler than for in close use, go with the 6, average mid distances, go with the 5 and for long distance use, go with the 4. Simple and made good sense.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 13, 2021 05:55PM

That would be better than what we have now. What we have now makes no sense. It's just a crap shoot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster