I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Another KL-H guide question
Posted by: John Durbin (---)
Date: March 11, 2021 02:46PM

I am building another inshore rod, it is 7" 6" Medium Heavy Fast action. I am using a 5000 reel with either 20 or 30 pound braid, I have not decided yet on which one. On the guide software it lists size 20H for 15 to 20 pound braid but it does not list 30# at all. My question is would the 20H, 10H, 5.5M work better or would the 25H, 12H, 5.5M work better?

Thank you, John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another KL-H guide question
Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 11, 2021 03:13PM

I would go with the 25H , 12H and 5.5M myself but I do know the 20H , 10H and 5.5M works very very well with 5000 size Shimano spinners and braid UP to 20 pounds. Once you hit 30 pound braid and up the 25H will be much preferred .

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 11, 2021 05:01PM

Just wanted to mention that the newer 8 "fiber" braids, like Hitena, cast better than the traditional braids. I use 21 pound Hitena Pureline, and it casts like a much lighter braid. I use it on 20-10-5.5 mostly with Shimano Stradic 4000, but it works well on 16-8-5.5 too.

I think the driver of the size 25 stripper is more reel-driven than line-driven if one commits to using the new braids.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 11, 2021 05:10PM

I agree with Chris. In fact I just bought the 25KLH for a 7'3" rod (Xray SJ736-1) which is closer to medium in power.

Check out this link if you haven't seen it. It covers a few more options.

[anglersresource.net]

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: March 11, 2021 06:25PM

Thank you for all of the information and that link, I had not seen it before. The line I was actually thinking about using is the power pro maxcuatro line. The 30# is almost the same size as the regular power pro 20#. If 20# will work fine with the KL25H it looks like that would be the best bet.

Date: March 11, 2021 06:31PM

John, if you are considering that line I think you need to see one other link. Hopefully this link will be allowed.

[www.stripersonline.com]

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: March 11, 2021 07:14PM

I would consider the 5000 sized reel as a border line reel, between using the 25H or 20H reduction trains. So you could use either reduction train, and they will both work great using a 5000 reel with braid up to 30 lb. The KL25H based reduction train is now being used on surf rods using reels much larger than a 5000 with good results. I recently tried the Hitena silky airbraid. 21 lb test, and it is without a doubt, the thinnest, and best casting braid I have ever used. It was either 12 or 16 fiber braid. Crazy good but expensive.
Norm

Date: March 11, 2021 07:58PM

FWIW some of you should try nanofil and gliss. But more for when you want a line that acts like a mono line on a bait caster, despite what they are marketed for. I would use 24# gliss where I currently use 8# fireline. They are very comparable in breaking strength and diameter yet are rather different lines.

That said I'm a braid newbie and rely on others for advice. My personal value choices are Yo Zuri and Daiwa, I still remain convinced Daiwa decided to change the dynamics in the braid market,

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2021 10:41PM

I have a bunch of sizes and styles of Hitena braid - teh biggest difference between it and other braids is that they rate the line accurately. THeir 21# needs to be compared to otehr companies 8 or 10# which actually breaks at 20#. THey need to make some standards for that and for reel feet sizes.

Date: March 12, 2021 09:56AM

The knowledge here is truly amazing! I think I will go with the 25H set up and see how it works. I have a 20H set up at home now too so I will put them both on and test cast it to see which one works out the best. Thank you for the information on the braided lines, I will definitely look into the Hitena braid. Thanks for the links too. I agree there should be some sort of a standard for the breaking strength of all the braided lines.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 12, 2021 12:17PM

The major problem with Hitena braid is the cost. The more strands in the braid the higher the production costs, but other wise it’s an excellent performing braid. Billy is correct in that Hitena braids show an actual breaking strength, similar to IGFA class lines. Both Gliss and Nanofil also list their actual breaking strength, however neither of these two lines are braided, rather their fibers are fused together, and both are very thin and cast great. For most braided line their actual breaking strengths are about double what is listed on the package. I agree Russel that both J-Braid 8 and Yo Zuri are very good value braids.
John, I like your idea of setting up your rod with both reduction trains and see which performs better.
Norm

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: March 12, 2021 12:28PM

line diameter reveals more than line test..

Posted by: Robert Ford (---)
Date: March 13, 2021 04:58PM

I like J braid and Suffix 832 a lo and they are reasonably priced in my eyes. I would err on the side of 25 KLH

Date: March 29, 2021 05:48AM

I did my test casting on my PB761MHF with 20 pound braid that was on the reel and the 20H guide cast better than the 25H on average by about 12 feet. Thanks for all of the help.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster